R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPid floor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pid floor
    Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 5:26pm
Interestingly, while working on my Pod I have found many attachments to the bottom with 1"X14 self tapping screws that had absolutely no sealant associated. That was from factory. I have since sealed them, I used Flex Seal available from Lowe's in both brush on and spray.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 7:45am
Thanks.  now I can drill with confidence.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Personally, if I penetrated the vapor barrier on the underside of our Pod, I'd use a marine through hull fitting to seal it off.  Here's an example.  https://www.go2marine.com/product/387052F/attwood-straight-thru-hull-connections.html?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=gb1&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNzq8d_52QIVio9-Ch3MaQ0lEAQYAyABEgKyEPD_BwE

They are available in a variety of diameters.  Then, what ever you plan to put though the hole, not counting your finger, can be well sealed up so water and crud doesn't get in.  It's probably overkill, but many foams don't like to be contaminated with the crud found on the road.  It slowly deteriorates and you end up with a squishy floor like the ones found around leaks in the head.  For example, if you wanted to run a wire or a piece of copper tubing through the hole, you could fill the excess space with a good bedding caulk, like 3M 5200, and it would probably last longer than the trailer.

Just a thought, though.  

I made my own bulkhead from some PVC fittings.. but you are dead on about sealing and protecting..
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 8:37pm
Personally, if I penetrated the vapor barrier on the underside of our Pod, I'd use a marine through hull fitting to seal it off.  Here's an example.  https://www.go2marine.com/product/387052F/attwood-straight-thru-hull-connections.html?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=gb1&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=productfeed&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjNzq8d_52QIVio9-Ch3MaQ0lEAQYAyABEgKyEPD_BwE

They are available in a variety of diameters.  Then, what ever you plan to put though the hole, not counting your finger, can be well sealed up so water and crud doesn't get in.  It's probably overkill, but many foams don't like to be contaminated with the crud found on the road.  It slowly deteriorates and you end up with a squishy floor like the ones found around leaks in the head.  For example, if you wanted to run a wire or a piece of copper tubing through the hole, you could fill the excess space with a good bedding caulk, like 3M 5200, and it would probably last longer than the trailer.

Just a thought, though.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:49pm
I have drilled thru the floor of my pod. There is no wiring or plumbing. Once I determined the place away from braces and other bottom hardware and internal mounted things, I drilled thru, not an issue. I sealed hole on bottom and silicone inside where hole was.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:48pm
Linoleum, luan, foam, luan, vapor barrier.

Unless you hit one of the aluminum framing members, that is all there is between you and the ground.. Don't forget the chassis/frame itself is inside the wall width.

also, if you drill from below.. it will be vapor barrier, luan, foam, luan, linoleum. Big smile
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 6:37pm
I need to make a small (1/2 inch) nole in the floor of our Pod.  What is the floor made of, and what will I run into drilling this hole?
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
 Post Reply Post Reply