R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCHANNEL HOOKS for AWNINGS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHANNEL HOOKS for AWNINGS
    Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by TEDDY

The screws holding the rail/channel to the camper body are not counter-sunk into the rail - so the flat-head screw replacement approach might work, or might not - unless you've tried it.
I never knew they weren't counter-sunk. I had read somewhere else that the switch to flat-head screws solved the clearance issue. Welcome to additional information of course.

We haven't gone down this path (yet). I was looking at the screws inside the keder rail, and deduced that the dome-head screws would certainly be an issue.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 1:01pm
The screws holding the rail/channel to the camper body are not counter-sunk into the rail - so the flat-head screw replacement approach might work, or might not - unless you've tried it.
Teddy
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 11:36am
You can also replaced the dome-head screws in the keder rail with flat-head equivalents. The top and bottom keder on newer pods is actually 14mm, so anything 1 or 2 mm less than that should work.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 5:52pm

I Leave My sail slugs attached to the tarp and just feed them in from one end, that way I can pull it out at the front or at the back depending on the Sun or rain Direction. I stand on the step and feed it in and use one of the adjustable tent poles to slide the slugs over, So i don't need a ladder for set up. It takes about 10 minutes to set up. EDIT I just remembered I did try to use 1/2"slugs and ground them down so they would slide pass the screws but then I found the 3/8 and didn't have to bother.
SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by TEDDY

I'm thinking some bubble gum stuck at the ends of the channel will keep the plugs from sliding out - or maybe an 1/8" bolt slipped into a bored hole at each end .......

Or two pieces of wood, whittled down to plug the ends, with a loop around each of light rope or string coming from each plug's nearest tarp-corner. Tightening each down with a tautline hitch anchors the corners of the tarp. It works.
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 4:35pm
I ordered the 12.5 mm sail stops - might be an issue because the screws holding the channel onto the camper are not counter-sunk.  That's the reason I had the local welder give me an eighth inch flat on the side of the round plug opposite the hook weld.

When I get the 12.5 mm plastic plugs, I'll try them and let you all know.  If you used the 3/8" sail plugs they would probably fit in the channel and slide past the channel mounting screws. 

A sanding wheel would probably flatten one surface of the plastic plugs to allow them to slide past the channel mounting screws.

I suspect all of these solutions work - I'm not nautical (canoe with sail is as close as I ever got!) - so was not aware of something like the sail plugs - would have saved me the $180 I spend on the stainless  plug/hook, but I'll have them forever......

I'm thinking some bubble gum stuck at the ends of the channel will keep the plugs from sliding out - or maybe an 1/8" bolt slipped into a bored hole at each end .......
Teddy
voisj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:34pm
Teddy, JohninIdaho,
The 3/8 ones work but they slop around a little and get caught up while pulling the tarp over. Not a big deal as i use a tent pole to slide them along. I used 3/8 sliders because that's what I had a bunch of. If anyone used the 1/2 sliders let me know how they well they slide with a tarp attached,(2016 Pod). 

SLOPODMODS
John&Sue,SLO,CA
2016 180 HRE, 2013 F150 Eco Boost

Wood River Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:53pm
Both will fit in the large track.  3/8 has more wiggle, but it wouldn't come out of the gap.  On my 2017 179 Green, I use the 1/2 inch on the door side on both the upper and lower tracks.  On the track connected to the gutter over our slide, I use the 3/8's.  It's a tight fit.  Want to use these to come us with a makeshift slide cover.   See the link below.  You can find on amazon as well I'm sure.
Smith's in Hailey
Early 2017 179 HRE

Wood River Mods
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 10:18am

so--- which one - the 3/8" or 1/2" - fits in the track?
TEDDY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 9:34am
Couldn't find goodboatgear.com on the net, so I ordered some from Amazon - thanks for the tip. I'm sure the plastic will be lighter than the stainless steel I had made. I'll have to see which I like better - my ss plug/hook comes with a hook - and I'd need a SS S hook to use the sail slides - but the weight hanging on the channel would be less. Also, I use a fitted cover over the rPod in winter, and the SS hooks hanging in the channel might be a problem - lots of things to consider.

Thanks.....
Teddy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>