R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFastway E2 and WDH setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fastway E2 and WDH setup
    Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Subzilla

It's not so much the jack I'm worried about but the little latch on the Pod hitch holding up the tongue weight and the truck end weight. I know it's the accepted way to do it. Just wondering if it could weaken it over time.

This is also a very good way of making 100% sure that your hitch is securely attached to the ball!!Wink
Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:31am
ditto to zilla's comments.  I don't want a flying pod coming loose when all that is jacked up.  But in reality, the tow vehicle falls and is fine and the pod might bounce a bit and scare the tar out of you.  I think that was my main concern, the stress in the pod hitch and if that is a problem.  The wdh and ball is really beefed up so the pod hitch is carrying the weight of the rear of the tow vehicle at the point of attach and detachment.
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:27am
It's not so much the jack I'm worried about but the little latch on the Pod hitch holding up the tongue weight and the truck end weight. I know it's the accepted way to do it. Just wondering if it could weaken it over time.
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:17am
That is the way I was taught at the dealer for our 28' TT.  Hook up the trailer, lift the truck's rear end and trailer's front end using the tongue jack, put in the WDH bars, lower everything and go.  Do the reverse to unhook.  I know it sounds like the jack is struggling to do that but it'll do it.  When hooking up the 28' TT i'm lifting it and the back end of a RAM 3500 dually.  Keep in mind you're not lifting the whole weight of the trailer, only the tongue weight plus the back end weight of the tow vehicle.
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:15am
I had thought about using my bottle jack to lift up the truck by the receiver hitch....
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Subzilla

I also use the jack with my Equalizer WDH to remove the friction bars.  Anybody have any fear of overstressing the hitch latch on the trailer by lifting both the trailer and the truck?  Doesn't seem like a whole lot there....designed more to keep the trailer from bouncing off.  Me overthinking things?
I've wondered about that myself, but it is more-or-less "standard practice". If it was something that is a real issue, you'd think some other method would have been devised.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Subzilla View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 9:59am
I also use the jack with my Equalizer WDH to remove the friction bars.  Anybody have any fear of overstressing the hitch latch on the trailer by lifting both the trailer and the truck?  Doesn't seem like a whole lot there....designed more to keep the trailer from bouncing off.  Me overthinking things?
Mark
Concord, NC
2017 RP 179 "Podzilla"
2011 Silverado 1500 4X4
texman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2018 at 8:25am
my drive way is sloped and i had a situation where pod was level but tow vehicle tilted to left(driver).  That is tricky.  Right side (passenger)was easy to remove with jack height.  The left(lower side) had a lot of tension to relieve due to the tow vehicle tilt.  Finally got it loose but learned to undo the trunnion bars on level ground or at least when pod and tow vehicle are at the same angle.  With an electric jack failure, worst case, i will have to use the little manual crank to raise the jack to remove bars.  I hope that never happens.  
TexMan 2015 182g
2018 Sequoia
TexManMods
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by TheBum

I have yet to encounter a situation when I couldn't get the bars off the L-brackets easily by raising the jack. It shouldn't matter whether it's a trunnion or round bar (ours is a round bar).

Perhaps you haven't. I have. It is good to have an option. I would never pop the bar off without raising the jack. Even so, the Equal-i-zer hitch will not let the bar swing freely due to the friction at the hitch head.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Larry-D View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2018 at 4:44pm
X2 on raising the TT to take the tension off the bars.  So much easier and safer, well worth the couple of minutes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>