R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
FrayAdjacent View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator
    Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 1:29am
A 2000W generator usually runs at 1600W. 

The 13500BTU Dometic AC unit draws 1670W of power, so generators that run at 1600W, but peak at 2000W will run harder, but will probably do it. They may not be able to start the compressor without something like an Easy Start. 

I just did a trip in my new 176, in which I have an Easy Start installed. I used a Westinghouse 2200W generator, and it starts and runs the AC just fine. I had other problems with the generator having to do with the external 'extended run' fuel tank. 

I am probably going to pick up one of the Harbor Freight Predator 3500W generators, mostly so that running the AC will only be slightly more than 50% output, leaving me overhead to run other (not so big) things. Part of that will be running a small ice maker, so I can remove the freezer box in the fridge, which should help the fridge get cold better. 

If you want to use a generator to run your AC, take the above into account. The AC draws 1670W. You'll want a generator that runs at more than that. How much more will dictate how much more stuff you can run at the same time. 

BTW, I also left my converter breaker off. My 100Ah AGM battery lasted just fine for three days powering the lights, fridge (on LP) and the thermostat. I didn't bother to hook up my solar panel. I don't think the battery went below about 70%. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:16pm
I installed a Micro-Air Easy Start which cuts the initial surge amperage. It allows our Generac iX2000 to run the AC much easier.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
itsjoprairie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 12:33pm
Does the Honday 2000 run the AC? We have one and just bought an Rpod. We want to work in the camper but don't have power. Ours says it is a 13 amp but the AC needs 15. WE were hoping it would be enough to run just the AC. 

Where are you storing this, did you make a spot?
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 9:32am
I finally got a chance to see the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 in action yesterday. I am very much impressed with how quiet these generators run. The food truck had two of them running and we could stand beside them and talk without having to raise our voices. They are significantly quieter than the Generac iX2000 which I have. The owner said they are very reliable also. He did say that because he runs them so much, he changes the oil every week using synthetic oil. Good oil and non-ethanol gasoline are the keys to keeping any small engine running well.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Tracydr

The tester isn’t downloading in your message. Can you try putting it in again?
I replaced the link to the picture with a link to the blog article. See if that works (the picture is intermittent).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tracydr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2018 at 5:32am
The tester isn’t downloading in your message. Can you try putting it in again?
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Tracydr

How do I know if there’s a fault?
Most of the time you can check the correctness of an AC outlet with a little tester like this:

http://toolguyd.com/klein-rt600-outlet-tester-review/

You can find these at most any hardware store. They are usually around $5 or $6, but you can find them for less sometimes. These won't test for a reversed hot, but that should not be an issue with a generator.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Tracydr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 5:50pm
How do I know if there’s a fault? Seems to be doing fine except it can’t handle anything but the AC at one time. I’ll probably get a second if I dry camp very much. This is the first place I’ve gone without full hookups. It will be really nice for day shows when I don’t want to hookup.]
Btw,I highly recommend the ARB awning for the tow vehicle. The r-dome will be nice if there are two of us and hubby can help but by myself or for short trips the awning on my Jeep is awesome to give my little yard some shade and rain protection. I set up a yard with ex-pens at the dog shows and the dogs can go in and out of the camper if it’s nice and I can leave the door open. 

DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 2:58pm
A picture is worth a thousands words! Thanks for the video Mike and extra explanation Stephen now I got it!
Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2018 at 8:08am
Originally posted by DavMar

StephenH I just read through your explanation about a bonding plug and how to build one. Sounds simple to build but I missing something here as to where and how this "bonding plug" is used with a generator? I understand the concept of "floating neutral" that you say generators have but with ZERO experience of using a generator with our campers I'm having a hard time conceptualizing all this in my mind. If you can explain further or point all of us to a website that explains this in more detail I know I'd appreciate it and I'm sure others on the forum will too. Thanks!

Mike beat me to it with a video. However, how to use? Simple. Your generator should have two 15A outlets. Plug the bonding plug into one of them and your generator cord (with adapter) into the other. You can see it toward the end of the video where the bonding plug is next to the RV's power cord (with adapters).
Hopefully, between this and the video, you will understand why a bonding plug would be needed, especially if one is running a circuit analyzer that will not allow current flow with an open ground.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>