R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery voltage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery voltage
    Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:44pm
That will work. I have to disconnect shore power to mow around the Pod, at least once a week, I wish I could say I remember to hook back up, but that's a lie. Good test because converter works as advertised, even to point converter fan runs. My battery is 3 plus years old.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:04pm
I flip off the converter breaker, and let my batteries go down to 50% or so every couple of months. Our last batteries still tested 100%/new after 5 years and many boondocking trips... I replaced them only because I wanted to go to dual 6v GC2's, from the dual G24's we had run since day one. The new camper is running dual G31 deep cycles..
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:44pm
+4 - The fantastic fan runs on 12V as does the power amp for the TV and the carbon monoxide detector, on shore power there are still devices drawing from battery. I have found my battery cycles between   Absorbtion and Float, which is normal. Not to say I don't disconnect from shore power for certain reasons. After some time it drops back to the Float mode and stays there until some action causes more battery draw. The converter charge circuit is much more efficient than a vehicle alternator system.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 3:29pm
Fully agree with what has been said (guess that means +3).

Your battery at sitting full voltage (24hr rest) should read in the 12.7v range. That will vary by battery, but a good spot to understand what a full battery at rest should read. I'm reading 12.74v at rest.

With my panel running I see (on average) 13.3v. The batteries have not gone deep, so I don't expect anything greater. Batteries are float charging.

I have seen 13.5v hooked up to the TV.

Unhook from shore power and let the battery rest. Then check voltage. This reading will give you a good idea of battery condition.

I'm a firm believer that your battery 'has' to be used to help maintain it. I will dis-connect from shore power when home run run a light in there to draw on them. Then hook into shore power (for me, hook up the panel) and give them a charge.

Others may look at this differently, but my Type 31's lasted 18yrs before I retired them. I went to dual 6's. Again my choice for my needs.

Hope some of this helps.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 7:30am
Thanks guys.  Makes sense.  Now that  I think about it, the high reading may be with the generator in the morning after most of a day and all night on battery.  I'll keep watching. 

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2018 at 5:36am

I agree with StephenH. I think you are just seeing a difference in the "modes" of the charger.

StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 7:00pm
My understanding is if there is any power draw, the charger goes into absorption mode (your 13.8V). Only if there is no draw does it drop down to float mode.
See this article about WFCO's Three Stage Converter.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2018 at 6:42pm
I have a digital volt meter that stays on all the time.  Whenever I can, I leave my pod hooked up to shore power.  The voltmeter always read 13.8 volts while hooked up to shore power.  I haven't eliminated all of the variables, but the past couple of days I've noticed that the voltage is sitting on 13.3.

I'm not worried about this but I wonder if it's an indication of something.  I can only guess what.  Anyone have any knowledgeable ideas?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply