R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedR-Dome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
toddrich View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: R-Dome
    Posted: 17 Aug 2018 at 7:25pm
We bought our 2011 177 used and the r-dome came with it, still wrapped in plastic, never even opened. I was skeptical, but the wife was giddy over it. The first outing when we unwrapped it to set it up, we discovered that the channel was smaller than the rubber piece that goes in it. We were very discouraged. Once home, I tried to modify the rubber (actually called kedar) and lubricate the channel but still no go. We then found that a 12' strip of kedar was about $15. So we ordered, she sewed it on and now it slips through just fine. I have also come to like it. On sunny days, we take the front panel off and have a nice shaded porch. 

fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 5:03pm
Wouldn't go anywhere without the dome. Makes a nice guest bedroom too!

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
DawgLady View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 4:31pm
My dome ripped in the same place. Alison the bag ripped where the handles are sewn on. I just took mine to sewing machine and used some waterproof fabric placing on top and inside and sewed it back for reinforcement. No more problems.
Dawg Lady
2016 R-180 "Lizzy"
Georgia
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 8:27am
I have camped several times near 1/2 million dollar class A motorhomes, Mega 3 axle fifth wheels, and just plain super nice campers, and i'm always shocked that people are staring at me and my r-dome. In july I was surrounded by several "upscale" units, and not only did I give 6-7 pod tours, I had one older guy come by, stop infront of me, and said " THAT wins best in the park by far". Crazy as it is, merely a tent, it is a giant attraction and I absolutely love mine. It's very rare I don't set it up, usually only on short weekend trip in late September - October due to stronger ocean side winds.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2018 at 6:52am
Good to hear! Thanks for the update
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Pod613 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2018 at 2:07pm
Forest River replaced the Rdome. Took a month or more but now I have a brand new RDome. I've used it on 6 trips and love it. 

We have friends with awnings and we always end up in the dome if it's raining or the bugs are bad. 

2019 RP176
2016 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 4:41pm
Rpod dealers sell them and probably drop ship to your house. $300-500. I negotiated and had them throw it in when I purchased camper. Far more useful than awning. Yes I too was skeptical of quality of Rdome, being a former tenter with high quality products. This is year three and so far no issues. Very versatile. 
Barryb125 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:12pm
Hi Markie;

I am a new R Pod 178 owner and looking to buy a R Dome. Did yours come with your R Pod? If not, can you tell me where and how much you paid for it?
Thanks
Barry
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 9:51pm
Good evening all,
 I too like the Dome concept over an awning and agree the durabiilty is lacking. I like the versitility of the dome.  The overflow area for guests to sleep is awsome. 

We haven't had any tears in the dome but must be very careful setting it up and taking down. It has served us well during several storms without leaking.

The problems I have with it are:  1. I installed the four inch risers to the camper frame resulting in the sides of the dome do not lay flat to the ground. The setup looks kinda goofy with the sides of the dome close to the camper higher than at the arch. 2. I find trying to stake it down is difficult with rocks, tree roots or hard slate stone base of the camp site. I wish there was a way to weight the flaps down with something other than big rocks or firewood. 3. Lastly I agree with previous post about the suction cup attachment to camper. The camper sides must be clean for good suction and if the wind blows sometimes the sides unhook. I want to fashion bungee cord loops for a shock cord between the dome side and the suction cup hook. This should alleviate the unhooking and give some versatility on where to attach suction cups. Happy camping
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
RoushFam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 3:12pm
I am so glad I stumbled upon your rear tent post.  Total game changer for our 182G.  We actually were considering trading in the 182G for a 176.  May have to scrap those plans now!  We love our dome.  Yes its not the best quality but I wouldn't trade it for an awning.  I have purchased better suction cups and better stakes to make setup a little easier.  I don't need to anchor as many points with the stakes I purchased.  

Brandon Roush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>