R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo Hot Water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Hot Water
    Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 4:01pm
quick update.  I corrected the leaking water heater connections with a Pex Crimper.  The factory did not fully crimp the 2 connections at the water heater.  The crimper cost me $60 but saved me a 4 hour round trip to get it fixed.  The water heater now works however the "fault" light is on (above switch on panel).  
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 10:33am
Y'all were exactly right!  I corrected the valves and the tank began to fill.  Then I was able to ignite and it is working.  However, both connections to the tank leak.  they tried to "fix" it with some plumber's putty.  So it looks like I'll be going back anyway.  I'm tempted to have a plumber fix it.  Perhaps it'll get done correctly that way.  
Thanks again!  The boss will be happy being able to use the shower!  

2018 Tundra
2018 176t
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 9:08am
Greetings;  2 valves are for the water heater, one on the top and one on the bottom. to open them the handles should be parallel with the piping.  If the valves are closed,  you will still have water coming out of the hot water  tap.   Winter prep;   close the valves, remove the plug, drain the tank

Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 8:50am
Don't feel bad, it's called 'Information Overload", when so much is thrown at you so fast that you can't keep it all straight. Some people, who have experienced it previously, video their 'walk-thrus' to avoid it. 

This is a very good place to come when you have a question, and there are NO stupid questions!
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:31am
The bypass valve is there to prevent filling the WH with antifreeze when you winterize. When you dewinterize, the valve should go back to the fill position. Sounds like that step got missed.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
onazip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 7:13am
Sadly, this is the first I've heard of the bypass valve.  I'm assuming I access under the dinette seat over the water heater.  I'm hoping it didn't burn out.  I'll try today and see what happens.  
once again, thank y'all for the information.  You'd think the dealership would make sure it was ready to run, like they said.  :(
2018 Tundra
2018 176t
Leo B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 4:23am
+1  
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 1:12am
If the bypass valves are in the wrong position you will get cold water at the taps.  Chances are the tape on the switch was to prevent you from turning on the electrical element until you had the tank filled (valves in the right position.  If someone else winterized your pod and you didn't tuorn the valves to the correct position then I bet that is it.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
DavMar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 9:01pm

Okay let’s break this problem down by its simplest solutions. I know it might sound stupid but are you sure your propane is on? Are you able to light your stove burner, is the refrigerator able to run on gas? If that’s okay and everything works there then look at your electrical breaker/fuse panel and make sure the breaker for the hot water heater hasn’t tripped off. If that’s good then head outside to your hot water heater and have someone hit the switch inside and you should hear and smell gas running and then hear a clicking sound of your ignitor trying to light the gas. As for the switch you said that you found tape over its for your electric hot water element. I suspect in your case, IF your hot water heater is full of water (you should have water running out of your spigots if you turn on hot and the tank is full of water) that your electric hot water heater element is burnt out. Which is why after you turn on that switch an hour later you still have cold water. Try these steps out and best of luck!

Dave & Marlene J with Zoey the
wonder dog.
2017 Rpod 180
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
Lexington, NC
flat6s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:50pm
First of all, I assume you have water in your hot water heater.  Open the pressure relief valve on top of the heater for a quick moment to make sure.  If no water, then your bypass valves are not set right, we can tackle that, if that is the case.
Assuming you have water in the hw heater, the switch inside the pod is for using propane to run the hw heater. Turn it on, you should hear some clicking and the hw heater is lit.  The light on the switch goes off and you have hot water in a short while.
The switch inside the hw heater compartment is for using 110 volt electric to run the heater.  There was probably a piece of tape on the electric switch to remind you that there must be water in the heater before you turn electric on.  If no water, then you will burn up your heating element almost instantly. If you have water in your hw tank, and you are hooked up to shore power, you can turn this switch on and after awhile you will have hot water.
I will go out on a limb and take a quess that your bypass valves are set wrong and you have no water in the hw heater, which is the reason your propane will not stay on and the reason you have no hot water

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>