R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClam Screened Shelter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TheBum View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clam Screened Shelter
    Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:27pm
We have the Escape and find it to be plenty large enough for the two of us and probably a couple more. I wouldn't want to host a party in it, but neither my wife nor I are party people, so that's not a problem.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats
mooremg1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 2:45pm
We own a Clam Escape XL and we love it.  If you expect to have a crowd or want to put a full size table and chairs inside then the XL is the one you probably want.  The regular Escape is somewhat smaller and the Traveler probably works best for 1-2 people.  We've had ours for a couple of years and I couldn't be more satisfied with it.  It is made very well and with high grade materials and once you've gotten the hang of taking it out of the storage bag and positioning it correctly for setup it only takes about a minute to get it up.  We also bought the wind panels which are quite useful for controlling the breeze and getting a bit of privacy.  We've used ours during steady rain and no drips or leaks appeared and I would say that wind resistance is as good or better than tents and other screen rooms.  There are a couple of downsides to consider and the first is that it's fairly heavy for a screen room.  The aluminum hubs and rods weigh quite a bit more than hollow aluminum tubes and the fabric and screen materials seem heavier than others I have owned.  I think most people could handle it.  Also, because it's always in once piece ready to deploy it is about 6 feet long when stowed in the storage bag which may make it hard to store it when traveling.  We lay it in the floor of our R179.  Lastly as you mentioned it's pretty expensive but I think the quality of the materials and construction and the ease of setup/takedown make it worth the expense.  
Sue and Mike

2022 Grand Design 23LDE
2017 Ford Expedition Platinum
2017 r-pod 179 (for sale)
2018 Chevrolet Traverse LT (sold)
Markie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2018 at 10:17pm
HI all,
 I have been considering purchasing a CLAM screen shelter but not sure of model to get. What are your thoughts on model and are they worth the money? durable? I am interested peoples opinion of weather tightness and wind resistance. opinions appreciated.
Mark & Vicki
R-POD 178 & 2015 Silverado 5.3L
Weimeraner "Zeke"
 Post Reply Post Reply