R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack tank valve protection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black tank valve protection
    Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:38am
Originally posted by StephenH

I have hit one piece of on-road debris. It was a black rubber bungee cord with the S-hook ends. It wrapped around the axle and was there when we stopped. I still have it in the back of the Frontier. Fortunately, it did not damage anything.

Ha, it was meant for you!  It was waiting and waiting on the road for you, then you finally came by and latched on!

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Timu

It wasn’t the pipe that got damaged but the valve that sticks out. I agree the best thing is to avoid road debris. Seems the could have designed the thing better and positioned it differently. I’ll probably figure out a guard/ mudflap for it to take the brunt of the punishment.

If you can figure out a better way, write Forest River and suggest it. However, there are limited options on where to run a drain pipe given the small size of our R-Pods and the location of the tanks.
In the probably 25,000 miles I have towed our RP179, I have hit one piece of on-road debris. It was a black rubber bungee cord with the S-hook ends. It wrapped around the axle and was there when we stopped. I still have it in the back of the Frontier. Fortunately, it did not damage anything.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Timu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:58pm
Probably true but still might try to design something as I’m retired and always looking for projects.
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:11pm
There's not a good solution to this problem. 

A couple of years ago in traffic I tore off the black tank valve on something that I didn't even see! My wife told me that it was a shed tire 'alligator'. You can rig something up, like a t-shaped guard hanging down, but if it's too high it's useless, too low it hits things, and irregular objects, like pieces of shed tire, will still go around the guard and tear things up. 

The odds are that your son will never again encounter this problem. 

I'm hoping to be so lucky!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 6:26pm
Well what you think you will run over will determine what kind of guard or flap you design. I'd be interested in what you come up with. Good luck.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Timu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 6:13pm
It wasn’t the pipe that got damaged but the valve that sticks out. I agree the best thing is to avoid road debris. Seems the could have designed the thing better and positioned it differently. I’ll probably figure out a guard/ mudflap for it to take the brunt of the punishment.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 4:26pm
I think I'm with Mike. if you hit road debris at 55 MPH, or even 45 or 35, bad things are going to happen. Short of installing plated armor in front of the vulnerable things (not just the black water drain pipe), I don't see much that you can do.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:38pm
I know this isn't the PC answer. Drain pipes falling off have nothing to do with road debris. That's a issue but fixable. Running over road debris is a whole different issue. I don't know how to prevent that except to take measures to not do it. If an item in the road is higher than the lowest hanging items on your RV and you hit them, expect bad things to happen, even if you put a guard on there, you're still hitting things. Best advice when and if all possible avoid road debris. Mud flaps don't prevent objects in the road. I agree there is and will always be road debris.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:29pm
Welcome! Some people have added mud flaps to the back of the fender, but I don't know if that would have helped in that specific situation. I hope he was able to fix it without too much trouble. I have had to replace the drain end and cap on my 179 once and the valve, drain end, and cap once. Both times were because the suspension had come loose and the end of the drain had sagged down and rubbed on the pavement. The second time, the valve came open and the tank was not filled with just water either. I'm glad sunshine is a great disinfectant!
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Timu View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 12:14pm
My son just got a 2015-172. On his first trip the black tank valve was hit by road debris and broke. Fortunately there was only water and chemicals in it that are by now evaporated along a highway in Oregon. Has anyone found a mod to protect the valve from being broken. It does seem to stick out and I can see this happening again. I tried the search function but can't find the key words that may be used if this has been discussed. We do like the Pod and have been thinking of downsizing (I know counter-intuitive) from our 25' ORV to one. Thanks for any advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply