R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2018 Rpod Battery Charging, Better Way?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2018 Rpod Battery Charging, Better Way?
    Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:44pm
The reason I put in a cut-off switch was for when I had to take it to have service done and I would be taking it to where it would not be plugged in. When I am home and plugged in, the switch stays on. That way the converter can keep the batteries charged with no worry about self-discharge or remembering to switch it on or plug the 'Pod in periodically to charge them. The only time I pulled them out since we purchased the R-Pod was when it had to go to the factory for repair. I used a regular charger periodically while it was gone to top them off (still leaving them connected  because the charger I was using is 12V, not 6V).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 6:00pm
Since purchasing our 177 in January 2011 our standard procedure for our 12 v deep cycle batteries during non-use (November through early April) is to take them out of the pod and set them on the cement floor in our unheated garage.  I proceed to trickle charge each at 2 amps; it usually takes a  day per battery to top off.  They sit there until late March when I give them another 2 amp trickle charge, again 24-36 hours/battery to top them off.  Each time before and after charging I check the water level in the cells.  They are now on their 8 year of dependable faithful service, still going strong.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 1:42pm
Lots of good advise and all will work. I have a little different twist to keeping the battery charged over long periods of nonuse. I installed a marine style battery cutoff switch next to the battery like many and then hardwired a "battery tender" pigtail end to the battery. A battery tender is always plugged in at home when the rv is not in use. The only reason being over years of rv'ing I've determined most all these systems tend to at times be a bit fragile. By leaving the rv systems off at all times except for when camping I'm "hoping" to get a little more life out of them. Also a side benefit is the pig tail that came with the battery tender can also be used to plug in a portable solar panel and controller once set up. :)   
2017 179 1/2
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 10:05am
Ben Herman is right.  You can't charge your battery from the converter/charger if it's disconnected.

My opinion: a cut-off switch isn't needed if you can leave the Pod plugged in at home between trips.  If you can't keep it plugged in, it probably is a good idea, but it isn't a total solution. Depending on how long it's going to be idle, you still need to charge it periodically.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:38am
Originally posted by clickscrazy

Yeah, battery cut off switch is on the list.

Yes, I do leave it plugged in to my 30Amp normally. I just unplugged it because of a bad storm.

On that note, should I still install a cut off switch and have the battery turned off WHILE I am plugged in?

Not sure this would make sense; if your battery is disconnected while plugged into AC, then it won't charge.
clickscrazy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:36am
Cool. Such wisdom on this forum, and everyone is so responsive.
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:34am
Agree with Stephen. The converter in the R-pod is bigger than "most" car battery chargers, and can handle quite a load. Once the battery is charged up, it will be in float mode almost all of the time. Basically idling.

The cutoff switch is a great idea, but not perfect. Even with no load, a lead acid battery will self-discharge after a couple of months. It will still need periodic topping off.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:18am
Yeah, battery cut off switch is on the list.

Yes, I do leave it plugged in to my 30Amp normally. I just unplugged it because of a bad storm.

On that note, should I still install a cut off switch and have the battery turned off WHILE I am plugged in?
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 9:08am
You could use a regular battery charger like for your car, but the converter is made for that purpose and is probably the best way to get the job done. To prevent the battery from discharging again if you unplug it, you could install a battery cut-off switch (see my mods for a picture). However, since you have a 30A receptacle, why not just leave it plugged in? I keep mine plugged into a 15A receptacle because I have not yet gotten a 30A receptacle installed at our house.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 8:59am
171, forgot I unplugged my RPOD from my 30Amp Recept. at the house.

Battery died. Plugged it in, and I know it is charging, but I wondered if there was a safer way to recharge the battery so the converter doesn't have to work so hard?
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply