R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBlack sealant for windows?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
clickscrazy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black sealant for windows?
    Posted: 14 Jul 2018 at 7:31am
I did kind of the same thing yesterday. Stretched the vertical seal, taped it in place, used black adhesive silicone in the corner.

This is the same thing the dealer did when I reported the issue on delivery.

I don't know if you can actually replace that seal.
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 4:08pm
I think it would be smarter to replace the gasket.  
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
jimandclare View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 3:30pm
Clickscrazy,
I have the same problem on two of our windows. The joints of the vertical weatherstripping that seals the sliding window from rain have come loose leaving large gaps. One window on the top and the other on the bottom. The old adhesive cleans off real well with lacquer thinner. I picked up a small tube of weatherstrip adhesive from a local auto supply store. Its a contact type adhesive. Applied the adhesive and let it set up. Using some pieces of duct tape i stretched and taped the weatherstripping in place. Then i added a small bead of adhesive to the joints hopefully for additional strength. Hows it working? Not sure yet. Im going to let them set overnight before i remove the duct tape to make sure the adhesive has fully set up. Hope this helps .... for the both of us.
Jim & Clare
2016 R-pod 178
2014 Ford Edge
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:31am
I don't think I made my self clear in regard to the problem.  The rubber gasket that surrounds the back window, has a chunk about 2" long on the outside broken off and this is where the prior owner tried to fill in the space with clear silicone.  On either end of the silicone patch there is now a 3mm gap.  I was thinking of removing the silicone, cleaning it really well with alcohol, and reapplying some kind of a black material, such as Flex-Shot rubber sealant to fill in the space and look sorta like the remainder of the original gasket.  What ever I use has to be thick enough to retain the basic shape of the gasket once formed and smoothed out, yet strong and stable enough to not shrink as did the clear silicone.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by lostagain

So, what can you use to fill a gap in the gasket that surrounds the back window?  A chunk of the rubber came off and the prior owner of our Pod patched it with silicone caulk and it's shrinking away leaving gaps at each end.  The gap needs to be filled and formed to conform to the outer part of the black rubber window gasket.

You can't really use a product there in the way you are asking. That is an area for silicone. You must remove all the old, and clean it up, then redo with new silicone. The reason the previous owners "patch" is peeling up, is it wasn't ever secure in the first place. Silicone is a product where preparation tryly counts.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:08am
So, what can you use to fill a gap in the gasket that surrounds the back window?  A chunk of the rubber came off and the prior owner of our Pod patched it with silicone caulk and it's shrinking away leaving gaps at each end.  The gap needs to be filled and formed to conform to the outer part of the black rubber window gasket.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 9:33am
Yes, use dicor to"touch up" on the roof where dicor is used. Wipe with alcohol, and just lap over what's there. But where silicone is, you have to clean off the old.
And.. ok, the window divider issue, yes, we had a run of that a while back, clean it up, black silicone.

EDIT.. when discussing the roof of any RV.. when the product "Dicor" is discussed/mentioned/recommended.. the product is Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:57am
Than shouldn't I use a Dicore product to touch up?
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 8:55am
Sorry. It is hard to describe, this is not for around the windows. But their is a vertical rubber piece on the exterior that seperates the window glass. It becomes seperated from the bottom. Maybe it tears when sliding the window.

Example: See the window glass seperation:
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 7:24am
Your windows, except the one on the rear, have a gasket, not "sealant". Try tightening the windows from the inside. A few owners have needed to do that. They clamp in place with screws, which also compresses the seal. Actual window leaks are pretty rare.
The rest of the exterior wall items are caulked. Pick a 25 year 100% silicone caulk, and make sure you remove all the old. Unlike Dicore, caulk will not stick to itself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>