R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRun A/C with 2000 watt honda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tibof View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Run A/C with 2000 watt honda
    Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 3:38pm
The Honda will shut off if it is being overloaded.  Otherwise, run it all day (and all night if you don't have neighbors), but turn off the ECO setting when using the AC.  I have two Honda EU 2000 generators and the kids have the new Honda EU2200 (which runs the Pod's AC just fine).  However, I am sure it won't also handle the microwave and the AC simultaneously.  Feeling the exhaust will not tell you anything.  It's always hot.  And John is right about high elevations; the power of the Honda is reduced, though I've had no problem at 6000 ft.
2015 Pod Hood River Edition
2012 Tacoma Crew Cab 4 Liter
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 5:38am
 The Honda EU2000 will do it. Shut off the converter charger using the main breaker. Don't try to charge the battery system when starting/running the A/C.  But, it might not run if the weather is extremely hot, or at very high elevations. There will be less horsepower coming from the Honda engine during extreme outdoor hear or high elevation. That might prevent it from running, and trip the Honda overload breaker.

When I used my Honda to run the A/C in the Pod, I only used it for an hour at a stretch to coll the interior to take a nap in the afternoon. If you need it to run for hours at a time, I would recommend a bigger generator (2400+ watts) or using those parallel devices to run two generators at a time.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 8:53pm
If you type "FORESTRIVER"in the discount box, they also knock $40 off the price. Since we are discussing a Forest River product, I suggest that the proper discount code be used.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
01tundra View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 5:44pm
Take a look at the link below for a Micro-Air EasyStart , if you type "airstream" in the discount box they knock $40 off the price.

Our EU2200i will easily run the A/C with all of the overhead LED's on now.  The thing is, our Progressive EMS shows that our Coleman Mach 8 13.5 MBH unit pulls between 11-12 amp while running on high cool, with the lights on.

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 10:18am
There are posts on the easy start. Stephen H did extensive posts. I would look at Stephen H posts, also the interweb has a lot of info on same.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:28am
I did a little reading and found that the 2000I can produce up to 16.6 amps at max capacity. The genny will run 30 minutes at full capacity. After that the genny has an auto shut off to protect it from overheating. So the technical answer is, YES the 2000I can run the 13.5K a/c unit. The Reality is, it can't run it properly. I did look into the soft start option, and it says it will reduce the load by as much as 60%. Who knows about this? I read some comments that a 2000I would run a 13.5 unit easily with the soft start unit. I absolutely dont know anything about this soft start thing, does it sound true? It's called a micro air easy start 364.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
FrayAdjacent View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:34pm
The 13,500BTU AC draws 1670W while running.

The Honda EU2000 generator runs at 1600W, but will peak at 2000W. It should run the AC, but will be working harder. 

It also may not be able to start the compressor by itself. Something like an Easy Start would help a ton. 
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Ok, so I ran the a/c on the one 2000 Watt honda genny for about 10 minutes. The genny motor sounded fine, but I do think the exhaust was very hot. I fear that could hurt the motor in a short time. My EMS said it was pulling 16 amps. The specs on the genny are 13.6 max amps. I guess it must exceed that number. I did realize after i shut it down, I was running the fridge on electric too. But it was already cool, so it probably wasnt actually using power. I wish i had room for the 2nd genny on this trip. Luckily i'll only be doing one overnight at cabelas, on the way too, and the way back, from Washington d.c.. While in D.C. we'll have power.  Maybe I wont need a/c and a fan will do. Thanks for your help

Kind of a bummer. I bought these gennys in January, and now they have the 2200I. Might be just enough to do it.
Exhaust gas is going to be hot. You're not going to be able to judge the load by just feeling the exhaust.

The better measure is the actual amp load. If the continuous load your generator can sustain is 13.6 amps, then that's what you have to go by. If it takes 16 amps to run the A/C, then you need a generator that can sustain that.

Typically, generators are sold by "surge power". The sustained power is usually less than that. Our home emergency generator is rated at 12,000 watts surge/10,000 watts sustained. So we power plan based on the 10,000 watts.

On the load side, the 16 amps the A/C is drawing when it's running can almost double to ~~ 30 amps when it's starting. That's why the startup caps help.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:16pm
Just a comment. The bonding plug allows the circuit analyzer to work not the generator. I do have one. No mention of running genset and AC with Convertor CB off. Admittedly I only use a genset for emergencies, I don't try and live on it. However you can run a Pod AC on a 2K genset.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 3:54pm
Ok, so I ran the a/c on the one 2000 Watt honda genny for about 10 minutes. The genny motor sounded fine, but I do think the exhaust was very hot. I fear that could hurt the motor in a short time. My EMS said it was pulling 16 amps. The specs on the genny are 13.6 max amps. I guess it must exceed that number. I did realize after i shut it down, I was running the fridge on electric too. But it was already cool, so it probably wasnt actually using power. I wish i had room for the 2nd genny on this trip. Luckily i'll only be doing one overnight at cabelas, on the way too, and the way back, from Washington d.c.. While in D.C. we'll have power.  Maybe I wont need a/c and a fan will do. Thanks for your help

Kind of a bummer. I bought these gennys in January, and now they have the 2200I. Might be just enough to do it.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>