R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStressed about bearings.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
clickscrazy View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stressed about bearings.
    Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 5:38pm
I talked with a local mobile RV tech. He said just to wait, and keep an eye on temp. So, I will do that on our next trip in a few weeks and if it all looks good, I will wait until the end of the year.
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
PodWa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 9:37pm
We purchased our RP-179 new in September 2016.  We waited until March 2018 to have the bearings serviced as we did not use the trailer during the winter.  The Pod had less than 4,000 miles when we took it in for bearing repack.  The technician found the seals leaking and the backing plates wet with grease and replaced the backing plates.  Then electrical problems started with poor connections to the trailer brakes.  I finally fixed that problem myself after two unsuccessful trips to the dealer.  My point is, just because your trailer is fairly new or with low miles, you can still have bearing lube issues.  My manual says to repack the bearings annually, and I intend to follow that advice until I have more experience with bearing lube on our R-Pod.  I hope that the better grease that the dealer used will preclude these types of problems in the future.
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 5:02pm
Going on year 8 with our 177.  Do a spring 'greasing' before hitting the road.  Have only had it apart once (2 years ago) to check on their condition.  The result . . . nearly like new.  I use a grease with graphite in it and do it myself.  Over 25,000 miles on it so far.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
SteveA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 10:20am
Trailer bearings are much like your cars' wheel bearings. Unless they are often submerged in water, they should give you many many thousands of trouble free miles of service. If you are like me and wish to "keep an eye on things", every so often as I'm gasing the tow vehicle I'll take my thumb and lightly touch the center of the trailer's wheels. They should be warm but not hot. 
2017 179 1/2
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 10:01am
My dealer told me to wait 3 years before having the bearings serviced. (ofcourse if you put 20,000 miles on in a year, that might be wrong). I bought a laser thermometer on amazon, and i check my hubs whenever i stop when towing. I find that they run just about 100 degrees, usually a few degrees less. If you want a little piece of mind, this might help. If you monitor your hubs, and see the temperature higher than normal, It's probably a good idea to get it checked. I also check my tire temps. They say (whoever they are) that your tires should run around 50 degrees higher than the outside temp. Mine seem to run 30 - 40 higher so far.

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 9:28am
+1 You should be good to go. 
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 8:48am
I would not do a thing other than go on your trip and be happy.
clickscrazy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 9:37pm
2018 171. Sept makes 1 year since purchase

We have only put about 1,000 miles on it over about 5 trips. A family member got sick and we had to stop traveling for 6 months.

I know the bearings need service, but I am struggling to find a shop, and am confused about what actually needs to be done and the dangers of adding grease yourself.

We have our first longer trip coming up.
2018 R-Pod 171
2014 VW Touareg TDI
 Post Reply Post Reply