R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUpgrade stereo speakers inside - Event Date: 30 Jul 2018

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Colt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Upgrade stereo speakers inside
    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:22pm
Oh, NO, not Blose!

I am an audio enthusiast (snob).

The biggest issue with all of the R-Pod speakers is the lack of volume behind them. That tiny volume of trapped air limits cone travel and kills the bass. You *could* dig out more styrofoam, and give up more of the precious little insulation you have. There is too little space in the 'Pod for traditional bookshelf speakers, even, and probably too little strength in the walls to mount them.

I used my Klipsch Groove BT speaker once. The sound was good, for BT, but the space issue was still there.

I settled on a Visio 20" sound bar that comes with a subwoofer. Mounted the bar under the TV with 2 L-shaped brackets and heavy duty velcro. The so called subwoofer is placed under my dinette (now a couch). I can BT my phone, etc to the bar and get rather decent music and TV sound. It is out of the way and uses no counter/table space.
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 3:36pm
Yes I can send you pic, but not cusre how to attach here. Send me an email and I'll respond. Also have solution for outdoor ones that someone else had completed.

marcinmass@hotmail.com
Outdoorsy Marc
2016 Rpod 179
2017 Kia Sorento SXL
CoffeeGuyR190 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 9:11am
Originally posted by Marchhall

I replaced my inside speakers on my '17 179 with 300 watt Pioneers from Best Buy, on sale at $25.00 (half price). I did have to buy spacers as cone depth slightly more than stock ones, as well 1 inch wall anchors and longer screws. Sound 1000 times better.  Now for the outside ones...hard to find flush mounted ones of same size, so likely will have to be drilling holes for new screws as most speakers are larger. The outside ones are not recessed into wall, but flush mounted, and just a small hole for wires.

Any ideas?

Any photos and specific model numbers of the Pioneer Speakers?
Marchhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 4:58pm
I replaced my inside speakers on my '17 179 with 300 watt Pioneers from Best Buy, on sale at $25.00 (half price). I did have to buy spacers as cone depth slightly more than stock ones, as well 1 inch wall anchors and longer screws. Sound 1000 times better.  Now for the outside ones...hard to find flush mounted ones of same size, so likely will have to be drilling holes for new screws as most speakers are larger. The outside ones are not recessed into wall, but flush mounted, and just a small hole for wires.

Any ideas?
Outdoorsy Marc
2016 Rpod 179
2017 Kia Sorento SXL
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 6:26am
Originally posted by TheBum

I'll have to consider taking my Altec-Lansing boom box in our Pod. It was designed to work with older iPhones physically plugged in (30-pin connector), but I was in Fry's Electronics one day a few years ago and found 30-pin to Bluetooth adapters on clearance, thereby turning it into a BT boom box. I love this boom box because it has lots of bass, including a passive radiator.

I had a Altec-Lansing tabletop unit that I used with my iPod years ago. Loved it, yet now have gone BT mainly for the connections all my toys. 

Sounds like yours should work as well!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TheBum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 3:39pm
I'll have to consider taking my Altec-Lansing boom box in our Pod. It was designed to work with older iPhones physically plugged in (30-pin connector), but I was in Fry's Electronics one day a few years ago and found 30-pin to Bluetooth adapters on clearance, thereby turning it into a BT boom box. I love this boom box because it has lots of bass, including a passive radiator.
Alan
2022 R-Pod 196 "RaptoRPod"
2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star 4x4
Three cats

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Don Halas

I agree with a Bluetooth speaker system. I have JBL Charge which I use with the pod and around the house. I also have a small Oontz Angle which stays on my desk at work, but will go in my luggage if I do any air travel.

Also a very good choice! JBL does nicely! 

I did my Oontz (Cambridge Soundworks) as an experiment to see if I'd like.
I like!

On our 46 day journey, I think I used the 'onboard' system twice.. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Don Halas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 11:38am
I agree with a Bluetooth speaker system. I have JBL Charge which I use with the pod and around the house. I also have a small Oontz Angle which stays on my desk at work, but will go in my luggage if I do any air travel.

Christine N. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 7:51am
Thanks, Furpod - VERY cool solutions you have come up with!
Cordially, Christine

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2018 at 7:18am
Originally posted by Christine N.

Originally posted by furpod

Upgrading the speakers won't help much. It's a function of the way they are mounted, the materials the pod is constructed from, and the 4watts per channel RMS head unit.

This is useful information, thanks.  I have a portable Bose speaker I can just take and plug in somewhere - had forgotten about it and it would be the easiest option!

Your Bose I believe is a step above my Oontz. I use all the time, camping or at home. Close to 100ft before it drops out. Your Bose goes further!

I run tunes mainly off the iPad and Movies/TV from the Laptop. Both go to the wireless speaker.

I put a piece of velcro on the speaker and on the side of the camper to mount it for in the Dome. Very simple solution and works well.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>