R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2nd hitch receiver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd hitch receiver
    Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 4:57pm
+1 to front hitches. Use them a lot, really handy for more than carrying bikes and stuff.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 3:20pm
I just saw a nice electric bike here in Medellin that is really cool.  It folds up to about the size of a small spare tire.  They were asking about $600 for them.  It appeared to be from the USA by the stickers.  It would be great for pavement, smooth dirt like in a camp ground, though I wouldn't want to take it onto any rough terrain.  

I'll be back at the same park where they were located next Sunday and will try to get a little more info.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 1:27pm
I plan to install driving lights so they shine through the middle of the bike frames.  I’ve not found a set that I like that has high/low beam and would allow me to shut of the primary lights.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Willys
2017 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:42pm
Depending on how serious you are about cycling you could also consider getting folding bikes and keeping them in the TV. There are a wide range of choices available. Saves worrying about the bike rack, hitch and security for the bikes.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 12:08pm
Personally, given the flexion and leverage imposed by bikes on the back of the pod, I wouldn't want to use a bike rack that requires a 2x2 receiver.  They're very heavy.  There are several 2 bike racks available on Amazon that work just fine with no to minimal modifications for the pod.  We got one and it works fine, though I'm probably going to add a little strap to stabilize the bikes a little more that is affixed to the back of our Pod.  As usual, I'll probably repurpose a little left over ss marine hardware to fabricate the attachment point.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Andy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 11:57am
After having placed both 1 and 2 bikes on the hitch receiver using a 1-1/4" to 2" converter I'm thinking a better option is to place the bike(s) in the TT itself.  There is just too much sway and movement.  And unfortunately I'm not as handy as Vann.  If I can't fix it with a hammer and Phillips head screwdriver I'm lost!  Has anyone come up with a way to secure the bike(s) inside?  With our 179 I could lean it on the bench seat and rest tires on the shower side wall with some covering to prevent tire tracks on the wall.
2017 179
2016 Silverado Z71
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Jeepinator

I purchased a front-mount receiver for my Jeep Wrangler.  The bikes are low enough where they do not interfere with visibility.  Headlights can be an issue due to reflection.

I have a front hitch too and you are exactly right about headlight reflection.  I really try not to drive at night with bikes on the front, but it can be done.  Daytime visibility is fine.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Jeepinator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 8:30pm
I purchased a front-mount receiver for my Jeep Wrangler.  The bikes are low enough where they do not interfere with visibility.  Headlights can be an issue due to reflection.
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 10:54am
If you have just one bike, would it be easier to leave the spare where it is and put the bike inside the trailer?
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 8:26am
yes, I added reinforcements everywhere that I could. That included triangle gussets at the original receiver and the new receiver.
I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but we also added a short piece of 2x3 angle iron that connected the back end of the 2" receiver to the new 2x2 cross member.
The idea is to have as little weight as possible farther from the pod-keep it as close as possible. Also the second important idea is to stop all motion  in the shank/receiver and the rack to shank and the bikes on the rack.
The nylon cam straps stop the bike rack from moving side to side or front to back.  they are attached as high as possible to the top of the bike rack in a welded eye bolt.  The bottom of the straps are in an eye bolt that is drilled through the lower frame members at the end.
The bikes are clamped onto the bike rack with built in clamps that hold the horizontal upper frame tubes.  We tie the bottom of the bikes to the bottom of the rack so they can't move and we attach bungee cords to the tires so they can't move either.

We did this mod initially on our 173 and used it for 6 years in many thousands of miles.  We have done the same now with our 179.  Most of the posts and most manufacturers advise against this practice and it may void your warranty. We went to extreme measures to insure success.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>