R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Adding high-wattage 120 volts to the tow vehicle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdding high-wattage 120 volts to the tow vehicle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding high-wattage 120 volts to the tow vehicle
    Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 5:11pm
Nope I have not ....... But with the right wiring diagram it could be made to do that
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 3:22pm
Have you ever seen a remote starter where the time limit could be disabled intentionally?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:52pm
On my Ford Windstar I have an older Valet Remote Starter installed.  I can start the car and let it run without keys in it.  It is meant to shut off after 15 minutes of running but for some reason the car never shuts off (or at least till it runs out of gas - Trust me my someone once left the car running all night in the city).  If someone was to jump in and try to move the car as soon as the break is pressed the car shuts down.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 1:02pm
I've had low-wattage inverters in my vehicles for about 15 years, very nice to recharge cell phones and laptops on long trips when you don't have the car adapters.  I've run household fans at drive-in theaters, powered lights and a small television (on the road before LCD televisions were available, and when the power went out at our last house).  Even powered a crock pot once when we were running late for a family dinner and it needed another 30 minutes to cook, so it cooked on the road.  The car smelled like a kitchen for a week.  Big smile

Primary uses for this mod would be to run the "big stuff" on the 'pod at times, and to run an electric chainsaw when I need it away from home.  I have a stationary 12kw generator and a 6kw inverter, so I'm no stranger to backup power.  The whole-house inverter was a home-built project, repurposing a UPS from eBay and doing all the wiring and conversion myself including creating a 22kw battery bank.

My options are roughly the same for under-the-hood.  There are a few 120 volt add-on generators available.  Custom fabrication is necessary to create a mount, which isn't cheap.  The generators aren't cheap either.  I just found one that puts out 5kw but it also costs $5k.  Ouch.  I didn't look very hard for something in the 2kw-3kw range.

I could also go with an inverter.  A high-output alternator to drive it would be around $300 and would be bolt-on in place of the existing alternator.  Extra-heavy-duty versions with more complex rectifiers have good output at idle and don't cost much more.  A 3kw full-sinewave inverter can be bought for $1500.  So about $2000 complete after adding wiring.  Advantage here is I can run low-wattage items when the vehicle is off.  When I get a new tow vehicle I can take the inverter with me.  I can't use the inverter I have at home.  It is very large and doesn't run off of 12 volts like a standard automotive electrical system.

I could just buy a Honda or Kipor 3kw genset for $2000-$3000.  But its an extra brick to haul around and move around, keep gassed up, maintain, etc.  Not quiet, either.  Not an option for me.

Stats I've found online say vehicles use about .15 to .2 gallons per hour idling.  Found a few that said its 1 gallon an hour but that sounds high to me.  While not ideal that wouldn't be much gas if an overnight stop at a truck stop or Wal-mart was needed and it was still 90F outside at 10 o'clock at night.  We could cook dinner with the microwave and then turn on the A/C.  Since the tow vehicle would be quiet we could even do this at campsites with no hookups.

3kw comes out to 4 horsepower, probably less than a 250 hp engine wastes when idling, and even if it is a bit of a load modern engine computers automatically compensate when accessory loads start so the engine doesn't stall.  So I think mechanically its doable w/o modification. 

One problem is how to ensure the tow vehicle stays immobile since it will be sitting there with the key in the ignition.  I understand steering wheel locks are useless because they can be removed with a can of refrigerant in seconds (spray, freeze the metal, crack with hammer).  So something else will have to be obvious to deter, and effective if it isn't enough of a deterrant that they smash the window and hop in.

Ok, your turn.  Poke some holes, make some suggestions.  Point and laugh!  Tongue
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply