R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLowering the height of pod for storage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lowering the height of pod for storage
    Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 10:54pm
My 171 was 9'3" before I added the risers and that was with the AC on it.  Can you place the r-pod at a storage yard?  Ones around here charge $20-$30 a month for outdoor storage.
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 2:32pm
I like both the ideas; low car dollies and the portable AC. I like the portable AC idea even if it were not for the height problems. I cannot do anything with the height of the storage since the overhead is my wrap around porch for the raised up house. 

So I am guessing then that the 8'7" number is the height without the AC.

Thanks everyone
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 2:29pm
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 12:55pm
What about removing the A/C and deflating the tires?  Take off the A/C, sell it, replace it with a crank-open vent (the opening is standard for both).  Buy a portable A/C, the type that blows the cold air through a flexible tube which you attach to a window opening.  If you want a cleaner look you could cut a hole in the floor to attach the hose to, cover it with a standard register cover.  Or cut the hole under the shower.  That enclosed area has a vent already so you are all set.  The 'pods are so well insulated I'm betting you won't need to move the air around inside but if you do you could use a small portable fan.

Next option requires a lot more work each time.  Find a set of low car dollies, the kind with small wheels.  Remove the 'pods wheels, lower onto the dollies, roll into place.

Any chance to modify the storage area?  If the entrance is the problem but you have enough height inside, maybe you can modify the top of the entrance?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 11:43am
Hmmm, it sounds like you would NOT gain enough by letting the air out of your tires.Angry

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
gepaine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 9:59pm
Our 175 is 9'-2" at the highest point which is the air conditioner cover (and I don't think I would gain much by removing the cover). We do not have axle risers installed.
Gene & Linda - 2007 Escalade - 24-Foot Keystone Cougar TT - Life is not just about gas mileage!
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 7:45pm
Is there any way to lift up the storage area?  Deflating the tires will work.  You might not have to run them all the way down either.  Measure the distance from the top of the tire down to the rim.  That is ABOUT what height you would loose by deflating.

Terry
RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 5:15pm
Mine is at the dealer for the next 2 weeks so I can't measure for you, hopefully someone else can answer.

Not the best idea, but you could cut 4-5 inches if you completely flatten both wheels before you push it into your storage area.  You might be OK rolling it a few feet on flat tires.  Again, not the best idea but if its your only choice...  If you have more height once inside you could partially fill the tires while it sits there.  Not sure you can shorten it from the top, there are a lot of things that stick up, up there.

Podders Helping Podders is an unofficial program we've started here so you can access a network of fellow 'podders before or while you are on the road.  Get directions from a local, help getting a tire repaired, etc.  Details are in that forum.  You'll notice some people have "podders helping podders" just under their screen name (to the left of every post), they have agreed to become part of this network.  Those members have the ability to post in that forum, for things related to that program.  If you are interested in joining PM me with your location and I'll add you.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2010 at 4:35pm
I have been trying for months to get situated to buy an R Pod and running into one hurdle after another. The latest is this. I have a covered storage area that will fit the Pod width and length wise but is only 8' 3" high. I see in the documentation that the Pods are 8' 7" high. Has anyone experience with getting the over height reduced on a Pod for storage. For example, could I get some used rims (no tires) and put those on for rolling it into and out of the covered port? Also, is the 8' 7" a height that include the AC or without it. If with the AC, how hard is it to pull off the part that sticks up?

Our neighborhood will not allow me to store the Pod outside.

Thanks in advance guys.

BTW. I tried to post this to Podders Helping Poders but got a message that says I don't have permissions to that area?
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
 Post Reply Post Reply