R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdding Drawers/Cupboard under Seat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
geewizard View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Drawers/Cupboard under Seat
    Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Grant177

Hello all,

I noticed that in the 177, that the space under the seat directly to the right of the door is basically just a large, empty space.

Thinking just like this!!

Jump to 45 seconds in....

I was thinking that I could install a couple sliding, deep drawers that would ideally for storage.  These would open  up sideways, ACROSS the opening into the pod, but would also be very handy from accessing things from outside.  Any reason why not to do this?  Seems like a lot of wasted space, and the 177 has NO storage space as is.  Was also thinking of doing something under the bed too....again, other than furnace air direction/safety concerns...why not?

I got a matching door and hardware from Forest River and framed the opening with 1x2.  Now I have access to the area under the seat.  I can put sliding plastic bins in there or just reach in and get things out.  The door I bought from FR was the same as the under-sink door and just the right size for the project.

Regarding storage and access in the area under the bed, see my previous posts about the wheeled toy box and heat deflector mod.

Note that I have a 2017 RPOD 177.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 12:31am
If I was you if you have the room use full extension slides. The drawers under the bunk are 32" deep. I also took out the horizontal dividers between the drawers under sink, that gave me room for an extra drawer.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 8:48pm
I have been toying with the same idea on my 178 (essentially the same layout) but i have 2 reservations for doing this.
1. it takes away space from the outside access storage; this is one outside storage cabinet that I use often for a lot of my cooking supplies etc since it is easy to access from the outdoor living space.
2. Although a drawer is handy, you would end up with some wasted space in that storage area - you basically lose the room for rails, frame and drawer itself; by my guess, I figured I'd lose up to 2" in the width and may be about 3" in the depth... not much but as we all know, you use every inch of space in an RPod!

All that being said, I might still do it however my priority would be to make a large pull out drawer for that cavernous space under the bed! :-)  There are some great designs on this forum that take into account an air deflector for the furnace as well.

Let us know what you end up doing, and of course pictures of the final project!

2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Grant177 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 4:06pm
Hello all,

I noticed that in the 177, that the space under the seat directly to the right of the door is basically just a large, empty space.

Thinking just like this!!

Jump to 45 seconds in....

I was thinking that I could install a couple sliding, deep drawers that would ideally for storage.  These would open  up sideways, ACROSS the opening into the pod, but would also be very handy from accessing things from outside.  Any reason why not to do this?  Seems like a lot of wasted space, and the 177 has NO storage space as is.  Was also thinking of doing something under the bed too....again, other than furnace air direction/safety concerns...why not?
Grant
2011 R-Pod 177
 Post Reply Post Reply