R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLadder Mount Bike Rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
podwerkz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ladder Mount Bike Rack
    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 3:52pm
Tandem axles just to haul a couple of bicycles?

Hmmm....
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
john in idaho View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 10:20am
I think you need a trailer with double axles.  The single axle out fit is not a toy hauler. IMHO.
joempaolcom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 10:03am
Thanks for the input.   I thought I'd give you feedback I received directly from Forest River.  BTW, I was very impressed that they provided the feedback in a timely manner.   Here's their input, "On the 192 R-Pod what we recommend is using the Jack-It bike rack, and this is a bike rack that mounts to the a-frame of the trailer above the propane tanks. We do not recommend a ladder mounted nor do we recommend the bumper carrier."  Thank you Danielle of Forest River!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 9:01am
Here's a link to the style of rack suggested by mjlrpod:  https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Bike-Racks/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-275.html

It is also a very good option.  Looking at the pictures from the link, for an old geezer like me, I'm not so sure I'd be agile enough to put the bikes on that type of rack.  One of the pictures shows the rack in use with an rpod.

No matter what bike rack you use, always be mindful of weight distribution.  The weight of the rack and the bikes, whether fore or aft, must be considered in your trailer balance, along with the stress on whatever holds the rack.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:47am
When I purchased my 195 I asked if the bumper was able to have a bike rack. They told me , no. I don't know if the ladder is strong enough either, although most people that would climb on it weigh more than 2 bikes. I'm going to carry my sewer caddy on my bumper but i'll take the spare tire off before I do. I use the stromberg bike bunk that mounts on the tongue.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 8:17am
It's a Pro-Series 63120 Eclipse Black 2-Bike Hitch Mounted Bike Carrier

Here's a fresh link to its page in Amazon.  I paid about $78 for it in 2018.  

I checked our rear bumper.  It's very substantially welded to the I beam frame.  I can't say for the 192.  It'd be worth taking a look to see how the bumper is connected.  Since it's used as a step to the ladder it's not likely to be a funky connection.

The whole set up cost me about $110.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 7:38am
Thanks so much for the input.  We are heading on a 5,000 mile journey.  I've seen posts where the rear bumper fails.  If I did use the bumper I would remove the spare tire and put it in the pass through storage.  I think it would fit.  I might have to remove the pull-out outside stove in the pass through to get it in there.  I was planning on storing golf clubs in there.  Can you tell me the brand and model of the bike holder you used.  The link you put there is broken.  Thanks again.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 11:16pm
If you have a 4"x4" square bumper in the back you can add a bolt on hitch receiver there and put the bike rack in it.  We did that with ours, but since the rack was for a 1 1/4" receiver, we got a sleeve to put into the 2"x2" receiver.  Our Sonoma is configured pretty much the same as your 192 in the back and the rack sticks out far enough that it clears the tire and ladder.  We've used it for a 450 mi. trip and it worked fine.  Our rack holds 2 bikes.  I would be careful putting more, as it adds quite a bit of weight behind the axle.  Be sure you keep your tongue weight above 10% when the bikes are loaded.

Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2020 at 8:35pm
I'm considering the Stromberg Carlson LA-102 to carry 2 bikes on the ladder on the back of my 2021 R-pod 192.  I assume the ladder has a 1" diameter rod.  Anybody have any experience with this?  I have a spare tire on the rear bumper so I don't want to add any additional load there.  

Your experience and thoughts would be appreciated.

Post Reply Post Reply