R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNoisy AC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Noisy AC
    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 9:55am
No, I was planning to give it a try when we lived down in the flatlands but am holding off for now. It triggers off a major set of mods including a new ceiling vent,  inverter, Li batteries, dc dc converters, roofmount solar, MPPT controller etc. Total cost would be about 4-5K but that would give me off grid a/c for about 8 hours a day from solar, longer with generator operation in daytime.  Not sure we would get the use out of it now that we've moved to the mountains and don't need the a/c as much.

I do know that the 9000 btu Pioneer Hi SEER evaporator will fit over the bed on the drivers side in my 179 and the condensing unit can go on the tongue but the batteries would have to go to make room, and the propane cylinder would need to be moved forward about an inch. 

I have installed several mini splits in houses I've owned and loved them. They have variable speed motor drives so they slow down and speed up rather than blasting cold air and then cycling off. I do get an a/c tech to do the final pull down and hookup but you're not supposed to need to.  My biggest worry is that  vibration from travel in the connections at the condenser will cause a refrigerant leak. There are flex lines available but they have a spotty record. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 8:31am
Originally posted by offgrid

Originally posted by Buffalohunter

IThe sound of cool fresh air is just that...not much that I can think of to change/dampen that sound. 

A new 12000 btu minisplit is whisper quiet and much more efficient. So it can be done. The problem I think with the roof a/cs is that you have to have two itty bitty holes in the 14 inch square opening to take air in and out of the evaporator. So high air velocities = high noise levels. The minisplits have the evaporators inside so can have a larger cross section and reduced air velocities. 

offgrid, have you installed one in your Pod?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:45pm
Good to know...off grid...when this one breaks downđź‘Ť
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Buffalohunter

IThe sound of cool fresh air is just that...not much that I can think of to change/dampen that sound. 

A new 12000 btu minisplit is whisper quiet and much more efficient. So it can be done. The problem I think with the roof a/cs is that you have to have two itty bitty holes in the 14 inch square opening to take air in and out of the evaporator. So high air velocities = high noise levels. The minisplits have the evaporators inside so can have a larger cross section and reduced air velocities. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 12:34pm
It finally got hot enough to test the noisy ac repair job. Hooked her up...put it on 55...and waited...my abused ears with hearing aids heard the sound of wind rushing through the unit.Smile
Now for the ol bat ear woman that can hear a frog fart 100yards away...same thing...nothing but the sounds of air rushing through the unit. Keep in mind that we could talk at a reasonable level and understand each other. Everything of any noise making...mechanical that is...was/is/outta be rubber mounted. That’s why the ruskies had a hell of a time locating our submarines. So if the ac unit was rubber mounted to the overhead...a certain level of noise wound not be transferred to the pod. The sound of cool fresh air is just that...not much that I can think of to change/dampen that sound. As for the guts...kahonu37 is on the right track with the use of lock tight...or nylock...to secure the motor mount bolts against the rolling earthquake that is the pod. As for the junction box rattling around...once again zip ties will hold it in place...at least the easiest way for me. Fortunately the left coast does not have the humidity problem other parts do...but I am ready when the need is there. Summary of my noisy ac problem and fix...good luck and I cannot say how nice it is to know there is this forum with that many real talented people.Big smileSmileWink
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
Kahonu37 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by mcarter

Never "nothing" to do, if you own an RV:)

was curious to find out if any one else has had this problem:

We have a 2018 RPOD 179 with a DOMETIC 13,500 BTU AC, purchased “New” January 2019. Our first trip was to Newfoundland, summer of 2019, did not use the AC much. Upon returning to the US, we began to notice a rattle noise in the AC when used. When we returned to Florida, took it to the dealer as it was covered under warranty. Allegedly repaired it.

We had planned to return to Newfoundland this year but due  COVID 19 it was impossible, so we are cruising thru the south. After a few state park the AC began to rattle again, I could reach up thru the duct and actually move the fan motor and it would stop. Only to start rattling again when we reached our new camp site. We finally able to get on the roof and remove the AC cowling, and discovered that both bolts that held the fan motor in place had vibrated out. 

Our fix was to reinsert bolts with lock tight on the threads, hopefully this will do the trick. Fan motor is not rattling at this time.

Hope this helps.

2018 179
2012 NISSAN XTERRA (retired 12/19)
2019 RAM 1500 WARLOCK (new)
A.R.E. V Series Topper
WDH Equalizer 600/6000
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 9:15am
When can I buy one? Big smile
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 9:02am
https://www.israel21c.org/noise-cancelling-company-aims-to-prove-silence-is-golden/

2014 Toyota Tundra DC
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 8:57am
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/aav/2008/253948/
2014 Toyota Tundra DC