R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeda/c

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: a/c
    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:10pm
A 15A outlet will definitely trip the breaker. It might not be immediate, but it will trip. A 20A breaker should not trip provided nothing else is on that circuit at the same time. Make sure your water heater is shut off for AC power. Running it on propane would be okay. Same with the refrigerator. If your battery is low, your converter will pull significant power until it is charged so that would be a factor also. I agree that a 12 gauge cable should be the minimum for running the RPod from a 20A outlet. You can tell a 20A outlet if the house is up to code in that it will have a different shaped outlet than the 15A outlets. It will have  little T slot on one side instead of two parallel slots.

Ultimately, having an RV outlet installed will be better. If you have an electrician install one, make absolutely sure that he/she is installing a 110V 30A RV outlet and not a 220V dryer outlet. Verify the installation with a meter before you plug your RPod into that outlet.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
The a/c only uses about 15A while running so it shouldn't be a problem to run it from a 20A circuit as long as there is nothing else on that circuit (in the house or trailer) at the same time. Shot off all the other breakers in the trailer panel. 

Don't worry about melting the plug, the circuit breaker in your home panel will trip first. But, you should be sure to use a heavy gauge extension cord (at least 12 gauge, NOT a cheap 14 gauge one) and keep the length as short as possible. 

That is a short term solution. Long term I agree with the other comments, install a dedicated 30A RV outlet if possible. I do understand that that might now be practical or cost effective in every situation. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:26pm
I don't know how you are hooked to that 20A 120 circuit. But that AC requires some power, I wouldn't advise normal ops the way you are doing it. Best to have a 30A circuit and your power cable.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
RKS1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:25pm
Thank you. Had a feeling that was the issue. t did not melt the plug. I liked out it just blow a fuse. 
Thank you 
Kent and Amy
Kent
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:22pm
You are correct, it pulls too much especially if there are other things on the same circuit. My husband says it may run for a while, but might also melt the adaptor plug.
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
RKS1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 4:19pm
hello everybody: 
I am new to RVing, hence this question. I am plugged into house outlet (20 amp). I want to check make sure everything works right. My A/C is not acting properly. Starts then shots off after a couple of minutes. My guess is I need to be hooked to a 30 amp outlet for the A/C to work. I am I close to sounding right.
Kent
 Post Reply Post Reply