R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTv/satellite switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tv/satellite switch
    Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 8:38am
Thanks offgrid using my trusty DMM I did determine that the red has power the white does not. You confirmed my suspicions on where to put that white wire. The black wire was is still a mystery but then a lot of what I find on the pod is. Great to have this site to go to for help and confirmationšŸ‘
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2020 at 6:52am
I think you're answered your own question re the unconnected coiled black wire, sounds like it does nothing. 

12V circuits don't usually have separate commons and grounds because the voltage involved is not a shock safety hazard. So most likely you will just be connecting the wire with the 3A inline fuse (which ought to be +12V)  to the +12V terminal of your new switch and the old "common"  (which ought to be -12V) to the "ground" terminal of the new switch. 

However, there is much confusion on color coding of 12V circuits in RV's because sometimes things are wired using automotive convention and sometimes household ac wiring convention. IOW, you can't really trust the color codes. So, get our your trusty digital multi meter and test the polarity of the two conductors you're connecting before final hookup. 

If you don't already have a DMM do get one, you will use it often checking various things on your trailer. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 1:56pm
anybody ever have a need to replace the tv/satellite switch with the red light that turns off the tv booster on the roof? Well I am in the middle of the replacement switching out a defective, unknown manufacturer, switch with a winegard rv7542. The old switch has the satellite, cable, antenna coax connections as does the new one.  There is a 3 amp inline fuse with an 18 gauge wire, a common wire and a black 14 gauge wire. The black 14 gauge wire is connected to the board...I pulled the wires out of the wall, gently, and this black wire has a metal push in ā€œspeaker-likeā€ plug in on the end...hooked to nothing. The black wire was coiled up and tied off...whaddaup with this?  The new switch has connections for the power and ground but nothing apparent for the common, white wire. There is no ground wire with the old so do I assume that I hook the common,white, to the ground?  What am I missing here? As a side my problem all began when the red light would not go out...the switch did nothing until I disconnected the antenna coax. I should have checked the fuse first before doing anything...if I had known there was a fuse buried in the wall. Anyway thanks for reading this hope it helps someone down the line...Iā€™m problem solving. Thanks for your help
R-pod-2020 189
2013 Toyota Tacoma
 Post Reply Post Reply