R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSolar Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
trajoi View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solar Install
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:11pm
Hi everyone! I did it!!! 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 6:54pm
Sounds interesting. 

There is nothing to "renew" with solar modules. The solar cells are encapsulated so either work properly or don't. You can test them by measuring (with your clamp on multimeter set on dc amps)  how much current the module supplies to the battery on a perfectly clear day when they are pointed directly at the sun. To be sure they're pointed at the sun you can place a stick or bar perpendicular to the surface and it should cast no shadow. Look up the spec for max power current (aka the Imp) of the module, you should be getting pretty close to that number. 

That link does not appear to include a battery charge controiler so you will still need that.

The other thing you can do is check your local craigslist for left over residential (about 250 watts) or industrial (about 350 watts) modules. You can often get those for 50 cents a watt or so.  You will need an MPPT type charge controller for them because they run at too high a voltage to charge 12V batteries directly. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:02pm
For anyone interested, Amazon has refurbished Renogy solar suitcase starting at $189. I bought one this summer and love it. Everything you need to attach it to your battery (including a fuse!).
Julie
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:15pm
Ahh, yes, I will need that meter thingy. The panel and monitor come in this weekend... pray for me. HAHA!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 5:01pm
I haven’t seen the newer go power configured trailers personally but if you pull off that sticker i don’t think you’re cutting through a wall, and I don’t see why you would have to. There are supposed to be some wires in there and you will need to determine which ones go to the roof to connect to the solar module and which ones go to the battery. That is what you need to confirm with the multimeter.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:59pm
Thank you. I already ordered everything, so I am going to go with what I got, and if I need to upgrade, then that's what I will do. We shall see. ;)
I am just scared of cutting into the wall!!!!
Colt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 12:54pm
Just in case,

A basic system is Panel(s) --> Charge Controller --> Battery (ies).  The charge controller must be rated for a higher voltage than the highest voltage on the panel(s) and whether you've connected them in series or parallel. 

May I recommend you run the panels at a higher voltage than the batteries and use an MPPT controller.  That will get you a few more minutes of charge time at the ends of the day and/or when the sky is cloudy. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:13pm
Thank you!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:09pm
The biggest issue is going to be the physical mounting on the roof.   It would help to know what it is exactly that you are planning to install.

The electrical connections are pretty straightforward. You will need a multimeter to confirm what you are looking at, so buy one if you don't already have one. You will find it useful around the trailer for many things. Try to get one that has a clamp on feature that can measure dc (not just ac) currents.  All of them should be able to measure dc and ac voltages and resistance (ohms). Some also measure capacitance which could be useful in the future. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
trajoi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:15pm
Hello! I am going to attempt to install my solar myself. I have a 'solar ready' roof mount and a sticker inside my rv, with supposed wires behind the sticker. 

Any advice or direction would be helpful. Go Power does not have any instructions and today I chatted with someone who just said, "Connect this and that and cut a hole and wellah!" Uh huh.
 Post Reply Post Reply