R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerator Question for R-196

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Gypsiejanie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator Question for R-196
    Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:41am
That is very helpful information. Thank you.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:50am
2 small generators in parallel sounds good until you think about the additional maintenance required, not to mention keeping them both fuels and the higher fuel use. Then there is the additional setup, take down, weight and storage required in the tow vehicle. The easystart OTOH is a small circuit board in a box, doubt it weighs more than a pound, fits in the a/c cover, out of sight and out of mind, nothing to maintain. Just because something is small and inconspicuous doesn't mean its not worth its price, in this case its the opposite. 

Soft start should come with the air conditioner to begin with, and in fact does with modern home a/cs which have variable speed inverter based compressor motor drives. No start current surges with those. But Dometic chooses to still make RV roof a/cs using 1970's technology. 

Before finalizing your purchase also consider your fuel source. I think you tow with a smaller SUV. If you have a gasoline generator where are you keeping the fuel? If you get a propane fueled generator you already have the fuel sitting on the rPod tongue. My Honda 2K is set up for dual fuel and I've found I never use gasoline in it. Much cleaner, easier, and less maintenance. Just something else to consider. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 6:13am
It seems that $300 for the easy start or for an extra 100 you could get an extra Predator.  With 2 you would have plenty of power and you could bring the extra one when you felt you needed the AC.  The larger Predator weighs 100 lbs so moving it would be a chore but 2 at 50 lbs each would be okay.  Alot to think about.....I may roll the dice with the Champion it is a bit more expensive but is lighter and you can get 2 if needed.
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 10:18pm
Gypsiejanie-
The 100 watt panel is great. but when we boondock, we also try to limit our power consumption by being very conservative.  We use  a 12v 8" fan for ventilation in addition to the Fantastic Fan(on low), try to use solar lights(Lucy lights) as much as possible, use LED bulbs and do not waste electricity. We always use propane for the refrigerator. We use a manual jack for the A Frame, use our own Ipad/Iphone for music and just recharge from the battery. by lowering your battery(12v) usage, yoou can stay longer.
Another thing to think about is the recharge amount for your batteries.  You should never let the battery go below 50% State of charge(SOC) or it will ultimately harm the battery.   Assume a scenerio where you use the battery to 85% SOC.  The next day you can recharge it-even if not 100 %, assume 95%.  then you use it down to 80% and then recharge back to 90%, then down to 75% and recharge back to 85%, etc, etc.  Each day you use it and the next day it may not be fully(100%) recharged, but still more power available than you will use. so each day you may lose a little, but still have plenty of power over a 6-7 day period until you can get to an electrical source for a full charge back to 100%.
We have done this as long as 12 consecutive days without electricity.  We were not out of power then, but had to move on.
One of the great myths is that your batteries always have to be fully charged to 100%.  Not true-they are still good, still capable of 12v output way below 100% without damaging the battery.
Hope this helps
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 9:52pm

If you have a fairly basic kit of parts, you won't necessarily need the installation kit. You may find a less expensive source. I found this on Amazon:

It is a few dollars less and the install kit is included.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 9:22pm
How much does an easy start cost?

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 6:55pm
Different companies rate the startup power of their products differently, there isn't an industry standard unfortunately. We had one member a few months ago who had a generator which had a decent continuous power rating (I forget which one) that appeared to have electronic protection on it that shut it off right at its startup rating which was not very high. The member complained and the manufacturer rejected the claim arguing that they met their spec, which in fairness they did.

We know that Honda and Yamaha don't do that, they are rated more conservatively and can provide more startup current. They of course also cost more. As you say, some folks are even able to get their a/s started on 2 or 2.2 kw (maybe not consistently but at least sometimes) . 

I expect that there is a desire on the part of Honda and Yamaha and maybe others to be more conservative in order to protect the value of their brands, they have much more to lose than some others if their customers start having lots of problems. I do think weight is going to be a good hint, but in the end you're going to have to try and see or just get an easystart and not worry about it. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 6:29pm
We're getting into the weeds a little, but are you saying my generator, rated at 2400 starting watts has more starting power than the Champion, which is rated at 2500 starting watts?  I get what you're saying about rotating mass and weight, but if my genny can start an air conditioner that takes much more than 2500 watts, why is it rated 2400 starting watts?

I think I've heard people here say they can start and run their AC with 2000w generators.

I didn't realize you were speaking of the Champion specifically.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Not sure why you'd say that after I just said my Yamaha EF2400iSHC starts and runs my AC.  It's rated 2000w, with a max of 2400w (for dealing with things like starting air conditioners).

I don't know if all 2400 or 2500 starting watt generators will start a Pod AC unit, but I know for a fact that mine will.  It's hard to imagine why other similarly rated generators wouldn't work.

TT

Because that generator stated 1800 watts continuous operating, 2500 watts starting. The a/c takes more than 2500 watts to start, much more (unless you have an easy start) and your larger heavier 2400 watt generator can provide that. Its specs say it can generally start a 13.5kbtuh a/c in temps up to 110F. 

The Champion is much lighter, and that's a giveaway that it has a lighter engine with less rotating mass. The energy for starting has to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the engine/generator rotating mass. Basically, to start the compressor you are transferring energy of rotation from the engine to the compressor via electricity. It has to happen too fast for the engine to have time to throttle up. 

So the lighter a generator is built the less starting capability it will have.  Basic physics, there ain't no free lunch. Bottom line is if you want to use a light generator you will need a soft starter to reduce the startup energy requirement. The easystart spins the compressor up more slowly so there is enough time for a lighter engine to keep up. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by offgrid

2500 starting watts won't be enough, but with an easystart it should be ok. I suggest you call Micro-Air and ask them what their customers' experience is with that generator. They are nice folks to talk to. 

Not sure why you'd say that after I just said my Yamaha EF2400iSHC starts and runs my AC.  It's rated 2000w, with a max of 2400w (for dealing with things like starting air conditioners).

I don't know if all 2400 or 2500 starting watt generators will start a Pod AC unit, but I know for a fact that mine will.  It's hard to imagine why other similarly rated generators wouldn't work.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>