R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHonda eu2200 Propane conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Honda eu2200 Propane conversion
    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:30am
Obviously depends on the load.

Propane contains only about 80% of the energy content of gasoline (91kbtu vs 116kbtu per gal) so in general you will burn through it about 20% faster than gasoline. Running the a/c takes about 1.7kw when the compressor is on and the Honda generators are around 18% fuel to wire efficiency so if you ran the a/c full bore with no cycling on a hot day a 20 lb cylinder (4.7 gal) should run it for about 13 hours. Of course in reality the a/c compressor cycles on and off so your run time is extended, but I’ve gone through a full cylinder in a day a couple of times. Not cheap way to stay cool, for sure. If you’re running some smaller loads and in eco mode a cylinder will of course last much longer.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:55am
Nice review.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 6:25pm
Yes, great review, thanks! Let us know how things work out once you get to try out the a/c on the generator in hot weather or higher altitude. That is the true test.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:52pm
Vann,

Great info!!
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:45pm
Thank you for an excellent summary of your installation. I've been very happy with our MicroAir EasyStart as well. I purchased a Firman dual-fuel generator but have not gotten to take it camping yet. I'm prepared for extended boondocking for when we do take that long trip.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 2:58pm

Honda Generator conversion to Propane

We boondock a lot and wanted to buy a small inverter generator so we could recharge our batteries and use the AC or MW if we wanted.  Since we tow with a Ford Expedition EL, I did not want to carry a gasoline powered generator and a gasoline tank in the enclosed vehicle and had no realistic way to carry it on the exterior of the Pod.  I did a fair amount of research prior to purchasing the generator and discovered several propane conversion kits to go along with the MicroAire Easy Start unit.

I purchased a Honda eu2200 generator, a MicroAir Easy Start and a Hutch Mountain LPG/NG conversion kit.  There are multiple YouTube videos about all of these products and their installation.  I watched several for each unit.

The MicroAir installation was straight forward and the kit comes with all necessary parts.  The instructions were clear and included pictures that were accurate and helpful. It took about an hour total from start to finish, including removing a rat’s nest inside the AC shroud( How did they get there???). After the install and following the start up instructions, the Honda generator (on gasoline) had no trouble starting and running the AC.  It will run on eco mode once the AC got up to full speed.

The Hutch Mountain propane conversion kit is also very complete with everything needed and a very good description (with pictures) of the installation process.  I finished the conversion in about 45 minutes with normal hand tools-a couple of wrenches, phillips screwdriver, drill and 9/16” bit.

I plugged the Pod into the Honda and connected the generator to a full 20# propane tank and it worked perfectly on the second pull of the starter rope.  We heated up the Pod to 78 degrees and turned on the AC.  The generator hummed a little louder and the compressor came on-cold air was felt!! The Honda will run the Pod’s AC unit on eco mode while being powered by propane once the AC reaches full speed.

Overall, after about $1800, I am happy with the results and look forward to boondocking with all of the power that we need.  As long as we can get water, we are good to go until our gray/black tanks are full.  We leave later this week for 3 ½ weeks of traveling.

I have no association with any of the products that I mention other than I paid for them, installed them and plan to use them. So far, I am a happy customer. I hope this might help other podders who may be interested in doing something similar.  I’m happy to answer any questions.

Safe travels

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply