R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeveling jacks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SEW83 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leveling jacks
    Posted: 18 Apr 2017 at 9:17am
Could someone please tell me the how big the scissor jacks are on the 2017 RPod 179?
 I would like to get jack pads. One set measures 6.5" x 9" X 1" and the other is 14" x 12" x .88".. thanks. Picking up my pod in 6 days!!
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 11:36am
Thanks for the tip for removing the BAL leveler!  I have had the same problem and never thought of placing a spacer under the wheel!  Duh!
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 8:15am
I put 'front' stabilizers on my Pod...along with using a 'Bal Wheel Leveler'.  I have risers on the Pod
and have never gotten close to damaging the rear stabilizers.  That extra 4 inch in height makes
a big difference in rear end clearance!  The one problem with the Bal leveler is when I go to remove the leveler.  The leveler must be 'slid under' the front and rear of the tire when setting up.  The weight of the pod tends to sink the legs of the leveler into the ground and makes it difficult to
slid the leveler out when leaving.  I have found that I need to crank the leveler far enough upward so that the bottom of the wheel is actually in the air.  I slide a plastic level pad under the wheel, then lower the Bal.  This keeps the weight of the Pod off of the Bal so it can be pulled out.  Then
I simply drive the Pod off the level pad and am ready to go.

TIDALWAVE
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by cane2

I am thinking replacing mine with scissor jacks also i would hope that they do not hang down to far to bend up as i do not have risers on unit. I have a Bal leveler for side to side i have not needed to use it yet but good insurance to have. Would love to have less wobble in unit. I to drop front a little drop back stabilizers and add 1/2 turn bring front back to level i just hope i do not have to much pressure in any of the stabilizers. We will find out i guess if 1/2 turn is to much. David we square dance in ours that makes it bounce.
Thanks for letting me know the "why" about the stabilizers.  I haven't used them in longer than I care to admit , just have not needed them Embarrassed.  I do remember, back a few years, using them on the fiver, but I couldn't remember why......maybe it was square dancing! LOL 
cane2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 11:47am
I am thinking replacing mine with scissor jacks also i would hope that they do not hang down to far to bend up as i do not have risers on unit. I have a Bal leveler for side to side i have not needed to use it yet but good insurance to have. Would love to have less wobble in unit. I to drop front a little drop back stabilizers and add 1/2 turn bring front back to level i just hope i do not have to much pressure in any of the stabilizers. We will find out i guess if 1/2 turn is to much. David we square dance in ours that makes it bounce.
vandallc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 6:58am
I have decided to get the sissor jacks myself. Forest River has indeed converted to them for the reasons discussed in this thread so I'll get the ones they are converting to when I get a bunch of warranty work. I think though that I will keep the jack stands that I bought at Wal Mart for $25 because they are very sturdy and actually quicker to put up and take down. I just lower the front end down till the trailer is level, place the stands by the frame in the back with a half to one inch height higher, continue to lower the front end till they can slide under and then bring the front end back up to level and use the pod "stabilizers" on the front. Went I break down I just lower the front again and yank the jack stands out and throw them in storage.
vandallc
2011 177
2003 Lincoln Navigator
PaddyMorris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 8:22pm
I will be hitting the auto wrecker for scissor jacks from wrecked cars. I did this for my old Trillium 4500, picked up 4 for about 60 bucks, plus I need more stability in the front than just the tongue jack.   
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 8:31am
I level using wood and/or Lynx under the tires.  But I do use jack stands up front since my 'pod didn't come with front stabs.  Once I started using them the 'pod become rock solid - no matter what was going on inside.  Tongue  No problems with the frame since I don't put much pressure on them, just enough to take out the wiggle - again, the wood and Lynx do the leveling.

My popup was never as stable as the 'pod and it had 4 stabs.  I wish I had thought of using the jack stands back then.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:26am
As everyone has said, the jacks are for stabilizing, not leveling.  The jacks are there to keep the trailer from wiggling around while you're inside it.

Your trailer's frame simply wasn't designed to be leveled with jackstands; doing so may bend the frame.  To level your trailer side-to-side, you must put something under the tire on the low side.  There are several options available, including short pieces of lumber, Lynx blocks or a Bal Leveler

You should be able to order replacement leveling jacks from your dealer.  A pair cost me $50 CDN.  They're very easy to install.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 6:59am
I agree with the above.  I level just like Lee and I use the "Lynx" blocks.  Leave the word "jack" out of the words "stabilizer jack".  Just use these devises for stabilizing.  Lower until they touch the ground, and then 1/4 turn more - very little pressure.  Also, don't forget the wheel chocks.

PS - I just started wondering.....what are all of you folks doing inside of your Pods to make them "bouncy"?  HeartHeartLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>