R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHitch Weight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitch Weight
    Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 7:42pm
I better go to the golf course tomorrow and check with the Yamaha rep on that one.  Good question!Big smile
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 7:40pm
Are you within towing weight specs for your golf cart when dragging around those clubs?  Shocked
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 6:42pm
Was able to make it to the scale at the recyclers today in the midst of some wet snow, 35 miles away.
Here are the results:

truck and 177  8260#
truck    5280#
177   2980#

Curious thing here is that the 177 weight was exactly the same at both scales, however the truck weighed in 310# lighter at the first location and the kicker is that I had about 4 less gallons of fuel and also took out my golf clubs at the 2nd location.  So . . . . someone must have read the scale wrong at the first location as I could read the digital readout at the scales today, plus it was verified by the attendant there as well. 

Maybe I will put my bag of golf clubs back in if it will indeed lessen my trucks weight by 310 lbs!LOL
God's pod
'11 model 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 7:32pm
Resolution isn't the same thing as accuracy. Probably any scale that can weigh a 10000 lb rig is going to be accurate to 10 or 20 lbs at that weight which is 0.1 to 0.2 percent, even if it has a resolution of 1 lb. 0.1 or 0.2 percent is very good accuracy for any measurement, and more than good enough for our needs.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 6:54pm
I considered that but the closest one is a 2 hour drive away.  Great idea though.
God's pod
'11 model 177
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 5:27pm
Consider going to a CAT scale.  It is not expensive and they are pretty accurate.  Readouts are all digital.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 4:30pm
Tomorrow's plan is to go to a recycling center where I can weigh truck and trailer together, then unhook and weigh truck by itself.  The scale there reads to the nearest 1 lb.  The place today seems like the scales are scaled more for tons and degree's of tons, accurate for certain, but not as precise as when you are looking at only hundreds of pounds.
God's pod
'11 model 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 3:58pm
I must have had a senior moment there. I now remember you reported before having sway with your fwt full. Unless your load out us a lot different now I don't think there's any need to repeat that experiment. Can't be good for the trailer even if your TV stays well planted. Maybe instead try for about 10% on the tongue and see if that stabilizes things?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 11:32am
Thanks OG

Yes, after the initial weigh in we unhooked the 177 off the hitch and weighed the rear axle.  Came out to 360# less, exactly what I got for hitch weight at home with the Sherline.

Going back 10 years we picked up our 177 and brought it home across the U.P. of Michigan in a bad snowstorm, lots of snow on the roadbed and our top speed never got above 50.  Was towing with a 2008 Explorer w/o the friction bar.  A couple months later we were finally able to go on a weekend trip, full fw tank and trailer loaded.  All was good till we hit 35 mph, tail wagging the dog.  Tried it a couple more times with the same result; i was clueless at the time.  We went home, rather bummed.  Talked to some friends about it and were told to get a friction bar.  Purchased it and the problem was rectified. 

Having a longer wheelbase on the F-150 vs. the Explorer will help here but when weather improves I will give it a go "carefully" to see if the problem repeats itself w/o the aid of the friction bar.  Right now, it is snowing like a banchi, c'mon spring!

Certainly there is the option of moving things out of the bed of the truck and into the front of the 177 to get the weight where it ought to be.  Since we normally boondock we also carry a couple of 5 gal. containers of water to supplant our FW tank, an additional 80 lbs. toward the front end should certainly help in the endeavor.
God's pod
'11 model 177
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 10:24am
No reason to think the scales are off I don't think. Did you happen to get the truck weight by itself without the trailer? That would give you a cross check between the scales and your Sherline tongue weight measurements. Tongue weight equals truck's two axles total with trailer minus truck by itself.

Probably you've been ok because of the friction bar. Have you ever tried seeing how stable the trailer is if you fill the fwt and leave the fiction bar off? Might want to try it (very carefully) and see.

Is there some other stuff you can move toward the front of the trailer to help balance it when the fwt is full?
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>