R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLock seizure in cargo bay door - 178

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Colt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lock seizure in cargo bay door - 178
    Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 4:48pm
I suggest you buy a small can of motorcycle chain lube for your locks.  The stuff is a water resistant lubricant with a solvent carrier.  It goes in thin to all sorts of crannies and the solvent evaporates to leave a nice lubricant. 

Harley used to sell a good one that I like for locks, it is not sticky.  You might find a can.  For my chains, I prefer PJ1 and it is still available. 
John
'16 R-Pod 180
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 11:18am
I would get combi-cam locks, no keys at all. I hate keys, all my locks no longer have keys. I'm camping, I don't wanna f@&%* with keys
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 11:10am
Originally posted by 1nana2many

While waiting for PB Blaster to work, go on Amazon and order a new set of keyed-alike locks for all your outside baggage doors and outside shower latch. If you still can’t use key, then remove the mattress and board covering storage area to access area instead of trying to crawl through baggage compartment. Bed board is only held down by a few screws. You need threaded barrel diameter/length to order new locks. 
+1

We keyed all the locks the same. Greatest thing since sliced bread.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Guitarpodome View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:58am
Good idea...wasn't looking forward to crawling underneath...I'm not as spry as I used to be!. I didn't think of accessing the latch from the top.  also I'm going to try the PB blaster on the door lock of my Little Guy teardrop as well...it's been tough to turn the key there as well. Will have a look at replacing all the R-pod baggage door locks if there isn't a significant improvement. Thanks.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 7:51am
I'll try that. Always used WD40 in the past and never tried PB.  Will post results later this week. Thanks!
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 5:32am
While waiting for PB Blaster to work, go on Amazon and order a new set of keyed-alike locks for all your outside baggage doors and outside shower latch. If you still can’t use key, then remove the mattress and board covering storage area to access area instead of trying to crawl through baggage compartment. Bed board is only held down by a few screws. You need threaded barrel diameter/length to order new locks. 
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2021 at 5:11am
Simplest suggestion is to try a stronger penetrant than wd40. I use PB Blaster. Wipe it off the exterior surfaces, then let it work in there for a couple of days.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2021 at 9:43pm
Our 2013 178 was stored outside uncovered this past winter, as we purchased it (used) in mid - January.  This spring we found a couple of the cargo door key locks a bit stiff.  After spraying in some WD40, all but one (the large right side rear door) of the locks are working smoothly. Before I have to crawl in through the small opening on the far side and disassemble the lock mechanism, any suggestions on how I might free this lock up?  I am afraid to break the key off if I try and force it with pliers. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply