R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp with tire replacement size

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with tire replacement size
    Posted: 08 Jul 2021 at 6:46am
I bought Loadstar 15 inch LRD's already mounted on 2500 lb rated wheels from Eastern Trailer. Very good pricing and I didn't have to pay for mounting, which was ridiculously expensive where I lived at the time. Then I sold the 14 inch tires and wheels on Craigslist (no one really wants used unmounted tires but the mounted ones sold right away) and recovered more than the cost of the wheels that way.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 3:43pm
[QUOTE=JimBinOC]I'm currently shopping for replacement tires for our 2017 RPod 179. The Westlakes have been fine so far  but definitely need replacement. The only online source I could find for the Westlakes is E-Trailer, which has the ST235/75R15 in load range D. This would be fine except they want $318.21 per tire which is a ridiculous price for a Chinese made trailer tire. They actually sell that tire mounted to an aluminum wheel for LESS than the tire alone

Wow, I just replaced my 5+ year old Hartland tires with Carlisle ST  Radial Trail HD trailer tires (14") from Discount Tire.  This is the first time I went with "D" tires instead of the "C" which I have had for the previous 10 years.  The price for all 3 tires (they took the old ones back) with speed balancing and new valve stems came to $ 347.  I have noted a marked difference in handling going from a 'C' to a 'D' - much less bouncing and more responsive with the 'D' tires.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
LongRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Pod_Geek

Originally posted by LongRanger

Thanks for the advice everyone .

If you're going to replace those new Westlakes and are anywhere near me (CO front range) I'll give you $100 and will come and pick them up.

Sorry, I'm all the way over in California. Smile
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 8:11am
Originally posted by LongRanger

If you're going to replace those new Westlakes and are anywhere near me (CO front range) I'll give you $100 and will come and pick them up.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 6:25am
I think the reason for a lot of blown tire problems on travel trailers is that the manufacturers often install tires that have little to no load safety margin above the axle rating. My 179 came with 14 inch load range C tires rated at 1750 lbs on a 3500 lb axle. Zero safety margin.

Based on reading I've done I'd recommend about a 25% safety margin above axle rating or more. I wound up with 15 inch load range D's with about a 2500 lb rating, or about 42%. The wheels I selected also have a 2500 lb rating (Wheels have load ratings too, if you can find them). So look at the actual load capacity of the tires, not just the load rating.

If you go to too high load rating tire it will be stiffer than you want which could cause more shaking and vibration than is good for your trailer. So there is such a thing as having too high a tire rating.

I'm personally OK with Chinese tires but everyone is free to make their own brand decisions.

I wouldn't worry too much about tire contact patch size on trailer tires. They aren't drive wheels and don't provide a whole lot of braking capacity either. Trailer tires are designed for high pressure and low rolling resistance to improve fuel economy.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 1:56pm
I bought tires for our now replaced Dakota at the Tire Rack.  I've looked at their price for Goodyear Endurance tires to replace my Westlake tires and the price is very competitive.  If you are near one of their distribution centers you can avoid the shipping costs.  They also have references to mobile tire mount and balance services.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
LongRanger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 1:38pm
JimBinOC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 12:14pm
I'm currently shopping for replacement tires for our 2017 RPod 179. The Westlakes have been fine so far  but definitely need replacement. The only online source I could find for the Westlakes is E-Trailer, which has the ST235/75R15 in load range D. This would be fine except they want $318.21 per tire which is a ridiculous price for a Chinese made trailer tire. They actually sell that tire mounted to an aluminum wheel for LESS than the tire alone.

Thinking about going with a name brand light truck tire with a D load rating. Much cheaper.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 11:07am
The tire size you are proposing to buy is slightly narrower on the tread surface than the ones you are replacing:  235 vs. 225.  That results in a slight reduction in surface area contact of the tire on the pavement.  It would probably never make any difference, but in theory, there would be a measurable reduction in braking/traction friction on the road surface.  Both Goodyear and Carlisle make excellent trailer tires. Like Pod_Geek, our trailer came with Westlake tires.  They are ok, but I have had some issues of them losing air on a cross-country trip with resulting excessive tread wear.  I plan on replacing the Westlakes with either Goodyear or Carlisle.  [I should have been more careful checking the pressure every morning in he rest areas where we made our overnight stops, but I confess to being a bit lazy and it's such a hassle squished between the tractor/trailer rigs on each side in the parking lot.]

I am in agreement that improving your load range to D rated tires is a good idea.  E load range tires are probably overkill and may make the trailer ride roughly.  Also, it is very important to get the replacement tires properly balanced.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
campman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:32am
Tire selection for good tires that I have read and contributed to in prior discussions seem limited. I haven't heard anything bad about Westlakes that I remember off hand. Castlerock tires on the other hand seem to self destruct once out of sight of home or the dealer. The most recommended are Goodyear Endurance and I also can speak about my satisfaction with Carlisle trailer tires.

The size you have mentioned as a replacement should be a good replacement.

I think it was OG who mentioned a good rule of thumb for your Special Trailer (ST) tires (in another recent tire discussion thread). It is to have about 40% (the load rating of the 2 tires added together) more tire load bearing capacity to endure the weight of the fully loaded trailer bouncing down the road. "Just enough" tire weight capacity is not recommended.

If/when you get your tires changed or decide to stay with your Westlakes, for your own benefit get your tires balanced! They spin faster then your TV tires and can transmit a lot of unnecessary vibration to your trailer.

Have a great day,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>