R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Any other 4x4 Frontier Pickup Tow Vehicles?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any other 4x4 Frontier Pickup Tow Vehicles?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 5:46pm
In this case, the package was intact. The seller just forgot to put the connectors in the package. They should be arriving tomorrow.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
K0VQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote K0VQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 1:03pm
Steven, yes I think that's your best option. I can't tell you how many questionable packages I received from Amazon lately by USPS where they were split open, cut open, etc., and luckily nothing fell out. Your luck my be different.
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 4:43pm
Thanks for that. After reviewing the specs on those towing mirrors, I'm going to pass. They are a bit too wide. We used stock mirrors for a year but I never was comfortable with the view so we bought some towing mirrors. I do like having some extra visibility behind me so I will stick with them.

I almost pulled the trigger on some ST225 tires, Goodyear Endurance, but decided to stay with the OEM size.

Thanks
gpokluda
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
2017 Rpod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 3:52pm
The states I tow in have the fairly typical 200 ft viewing requirement. I easily met that with the standard Highlander mirrors and the (narrow) 179. With the wide rpods and other trailers, no way. One of several reasons I preferred the 179.

I do have a set of clamp on extension mirrors for towing wider trailers. If I ever went to Vermont I'd put them on while I was there and take em off when I left.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 3:37pm
Here's a summary of mirror laws state by state:
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Have you tried towing the 179 without the trailer mirrors? It's narrow. I never added additional mirrors to my Highlander whith the 179 and my visibility was fine for me.That will also reduce fuel consumption a little.
A lot depends on where one it towing. It may depend on state laws. For example, we have towed to Vermont where towing mirrors are required. Other states just specify so much distance visibility behind the trailer. If the vehicle is wide enough to meet that, fine. Otherwise, the towing mirrors are needed.

In our case, we probably could get by without the towing mirrors most of the time, but even for things like backing the trailer, they are helpful. I would not want to tow without the ones I installed. Since they are not an added mirror with straps and/or buckles, they don't change between towing or non-towing except for how far they stick out from the sides of the Frontier. Unlike strap-on mirrors, mine are heated power mirrors which is helpful in adjusting and in conditions where the mirror might a coat of moisture from fog or ice.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:33pm
Turns out I could not find any bulkhead BNC connectors that would work, so I have some SO-239 barrel connectors on order. They were supposed to have arrived, but the only thing in the package was the coax seal I ordered at the same time. I think I will have to wait until Monday before I will hear from the seller about this. In addition to the two barrel connectors(for HF and VHF/UHF), I will be putting in a 4-pole plug for the AH4 antenna tuner cable that is needed for the Eagle One antenna.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 2:46am
Have you tried towing the 179 without the trailer mirrors? It's narrow. I never added additional mirrors to my Highlander whith the 179 and my visibility was fine for me.That will also reduce fuel consumption a little.

I ran st225/75r15 lrd's on mine. The ST235s are a relatively rare tire. Etrailer has them. They and the light truck tires have an agressive tread pattern for traction which is not really beneficial on a trailer tire as they aren't drive wheels. The typical ST tread patterns are optimized for lower rolling resistance which improves fuel economy.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 3:51pm
Hey there! We have a 2017 R179 (bought new) and tow with a 2016 Nissan Frontier SV 4.0 with OD. We pretty much wore the Westlake tires on the 179 bald over the past 4 years and the Frontier has never skipped a beat. Usually keep it out of OD and can easily cruise at 65-70mph. Anything above that and MPG suffers greatly. We do run a Fastlane WDH along with Sumo Springs. We've pulled through wind, rain, snow and everything else and the rig is rock steady.

FWIW, Couldn't find any ST235/75R15 to save my soul so we went with Falken Wildepeak 10ply. Couldn't be happier with that choice. 

Definitely going to order up some of those tow mirrors for the Frontier. So tired of the strap on mirrors we use now.

Happy traveling 

gpokluda
2017 Rpod r179
2016 Nissan Frontier SV

K0VQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote K0VQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 2:11pm
Yeah I will when it warms up a bit. Getting down to 1 degree or less at night and maybe 32 degrees in the heat of the day is too cold for crawling around drilling holes in the camper. Besides the cover is on it anyway. Bring on spring! 73 Tracy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>