Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Seeking some advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
campman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seeking some advice
    Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 7:04am
I found the floor areas that needed sealing by opening a couple of panels. One area is under the shower pan. Just open the vent under the shower, use a flashlight to look around. The other large hole is in the floor in front of the hot water heater. There is an access panel under the wardrobe in the bathroom.

I would recommend anyone with a new trailer should get a shop vac and a screw driver so as to look behind and under everything to clean up construction debris...you will not get it all, but most is good enough. While looking under your shower, make sure your shower base is sufficiently supported. I added a few 2x6 pieces after cleaning up and sealing the holes I found.

Have a great day,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by campman

Something you might want to do is look in some of the hidden areas (under your shower floor also make sure the shower floor is supported properly) and the giant open area under the water Heater. We found giant holes drilled by the builders to allow room for lines. They made the holes so over sized it is ridiculous! I will be spray foaming them Closed this year when things warm up. This will reduce cold (or hot) air entering the trailer and also reduce access to the trailer for rodents if in an area where they are active. I want to gain access for spraying by lowering some of the underbelly covering wherever I need access.

Well that's interesting, holes in the floor for phantom water lines.  Did you have to pull off the underbelly covers to find them?
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:09pm
Accidental post, nothing to see here.
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 2:05pm
Hello Dan, and congratulations on your 192! We have a rp192 we purchased last year and already out about 10000 kms (6200 miles) travelling around Canada visiting family.

Now, for your mattress query...ditch the junk mattress that came with the trailer, don't just put a topper on it (we tried that). You should be fine with an 8 inch mattress as that is what we put in ours. The mattress we bought is flexible enough that it bends where needed. We don't often close the bed and we added the 3 inch topper we put on initially for even more comfort...absolutely wonderful to sleep on! We can still lift and store the bed with the topper, but it is a tight. We also travel with the bed down.

We put our trailer in our garage so can't help with cover advice.

Something you might want to do is look in some of the hidden areas (under your shower floor also make sure the shower floor is supported properly) and the giant open area under the water Heater. We found giant holes drilled by the builders to allow room for lines. They made the holes so over sized it is ridiculous! I will be spray foaming them Closed this year when things warm up. This will reduce cold (or hot) air entering the trailer and also reduce access to the trailer for rodents if in an area where they are active. I want to gain access for spraying by lowering some of the underbelly covering wherever I need access.

As has been posted earlier, welcome. This owner resource is unbeatable for help and info. The search function is persnickity but very helpful to find answers already answered in other threads.

Take care,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 7:43am
Does the Murphy bed fold when you move it up and out of the way?  If it does (say like a sofa with a hide-a-bed underneath) then it would not work but if the base that the mattress sits on is one piece and does not fold then yes it will.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Dirt Sifter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dirt Sifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:34pm
Welcome! I can't speak to Murphy bed mattresses, but the other mattresses we've had have always been replaced. We've had 2 covers destroyed over the first winter for each. Our trailers have been under cover in a hay shed that the wind does blow through.  We've found the roof serves a better shield than the fabric covers. The shed's sides are open about two thirds of the way up so indirect sunlight gets in for the solar. Good luck and have fun!
Greg n Deb 2020 195 HRE
'07 Tundra 5.7L., '17 Tacoma 3.5L. Both with tow packages
1 Puggle, 1 Chihuahua support staff
danthefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote danthefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:49pm
Thanks for your reply jato.  Do you know if an 8" Eurotop will work with a Murphy bed set up?
Dan
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:30pm
Congratulations Dan on your spankin' new 192!  One thing that has not changed since we purchased our 177 back in January 2011 - the mattress is of poor quality.  Replace it and get a good nights rest.  We did that after 3 sleeps on the original and purchased a 8" Eurotop.  That mattress amazes us as it is over 10 years old and still just as firm and comfy as the day we got it.

When our 177 is not in use it also sits on dirt but in an abandoned 3 sided horse barn so it is out of the sun.  If you park next to a barn is there any way you can park it on the north side to keep it out of the sun for most of the day?  Cannot help with covers as we have never had a need but there will be others who have experience with those that will offer their advice on that.  I have seen shelters built around the pod where some 4x4 wolmanized timbers are used and then a poly tarp is stretched out over the top and a bit on the sides for sun control.  Tarp is only good for 1 - 2 years depending on the quality.

Glad you found this forum, your 24/7 owners manual.  Happy camping in the days ahead with your 192.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
danthefan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote danthefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:01pm
So excited to have purchased our first travel trailer; a 2022 RPod192.  We are picking it up next week, and I have a couple questions I hope someone can help me with.  First the bed.  I imagine the mattress is of lesser quality.  Would it be recommended to add a pillow top to firm it up, or is a new mattress what we need?  Also, what do we need to know about modifying the existing mattress that works with the Murphy bed set up?  Next, our storage option is on dirt next to a barn with a lot of dust and sun exposure.  I imagine a cover is the correct option here.  Any words of wisdom on which cover might be best for the 192?  Thanks for taking the time to help ease me into an unfamiliar adventure.  I'm sure these are only the first of many questions that will crop up after I get the unit home.
DanSmile
Dan Zeisler
 Post Reply Post Reply