Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hello from Maine

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Maine
    Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 2:44pm
I read an article many, many years ago how UPS washed their jets frequently, not so much to reduce drag, but to reduce weight. When you considered the weight of a light coat of grime over the entire surface area of a 747, it added up.

gpokluda
2017 r179
2016 Nissan Frontier SV
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 11:14am
I probably got ripped off for the price but had them apply the protectant at the dealer before we took possession of it.  Think it's called Xzilon, supposed to protect against oxidation, Fading, etc etc....
'22 First RP 192
'19 RAM 1500 to pull it with
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 11:10am
My A&P mechanic tells me I shouldn't wash and wax my airplane because the paint is so thin on them to keep the weight down that I could end up rubbing it all off. But I ignore him 'cause I like it to look real purdy too. No serious buffing though.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 10:38am
Not surprised OG but I have to admit that after putting on a layer of MeGuiar's ceramic wax on my 11 year old 177, it still looks "mighty purdy" - appears like it is in showroom condition.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 5:45am
Not specifically about stickers but in aviation there's a debate about how much less drag/more speed you get if you wash and wax your plane, which all the racers do. So some guys did a before and after study on a Mooney M20 (a pretty fast low drag plane), and it picked up about 2.5 mph. My math-free guess is that would translate to something close to 0.0 mph in a boxy slow speed high drag travel trailer. IOW, negligible change if you have stickers or not or if you wash and wax it or not. Anyone surprised?

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Markuendo, I put an emoji with a wink, as I was kidding.  We did peel off all the graphics because they were old and looked awful.  

As for wind resistance, I don't imagine that the surface turbulence is materially different with or without stickers, but I'll leave that to aeronautical engineers to do the final analysis.  Laminar flow and drag are not things that I studied, except in trying to may my old Newport 30 MKII try to go faster. 

LOL ok ok, was like, nooo way!  Still want to know how to remove all the dumb identification stickers though.  They clutter up so much.

Has anyone done this without pulling off the pod stickers underneath? 
'22 First RP 192
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 6:47pm
Markuendo, I put an emoji with a wink, as I was kidding.  We did peel off all the graphics because they were old and looked awful.  Given the value of a 2009 trailer when we did it, it would not have made financial sense to spend any money on new graphics and the labor to apply them.  When I got all the old loops off, and had a pure white fluffy cloud of a trailer, it seemed to me that it would still keep us out of the rain and mosquitos just fine sans stickers.  I looked into getting a graphics sticker to put on the back with the name White Cloud, but it was too expensive and added nothing to the value of the trailer.  

As for wind resistance, I don't imagine that the surface turbulence is materially different with or without stickers, but I'll leave that to aeronautical engineers to do the final analysis.  Laminar flow and drag are not things that I studied, except in trying to may my old Newport 30 MKII try to go faster. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 4:15pm
I peeled off the frog using my fingernail to raise a corner, then pulled the rest off. It left a little residue that I cleaned up with a little alcohol on a rag.

I think it improved my gas mileage by almost 2 MPG! LOL
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Markuendo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Markuendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 8:51am
Originally posted by lostagain

Welcome Old.  You will find your 172 has much less resistance with the graphics removed.  We peeled off the worn out graphics on our 172, put a coat of Meguiars and noticed an immediate improvement on our mileage.  Wink  We thought about naming the 172 White Cloud, but decided adding more graphics might increase the wind resistance. 

Are you kidding, stickers actually make a difference you can tell?  Confused

I've been staring at stickers all over my rig for the last couple weeks, considering pulling some of the advertisements or identification ones off.  Not for the reason above but just to make it a bit cleaner.  Any advice to remove?

Also, Welcome Old, new R-Pod owner here as well!
'22 First RP 192
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 2:02pm
Nice to meet you OldMainer. I'm a Mainer myself with a 2016 172. I've had it for 3 years and really enjoy it. This forum has been a lifesaver. I'm in California now but will be back in Maine by the beginning of June. Would love to meet up and compare notes.
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>