R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Support for Slideout?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Support for Slideout?
    Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 4:03pm
I did the heat deflector modification. Check out my mods for pictures and details. It was challenging because I don't have a metal brake. I used a sheet metal folding tool from Harbor Freight. It worked okay. I used the same type galvanized sheet used for furnace duct work. Then I covered it with insulation foam and sealed with the metal seam tape. It has worked well.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 2:57pm
Yes. Another member built a great, folded sheet metal deflector. I don't have a break and couldn't get it made locally. So, I ended up using a bread loaf pan and cutting off one long side.

The screws that hold the grille onto the furnace will hold the deflector leaving the air intake open and a small part of the heat discharge uncovered.

Makes the bathroom warmer, too!
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Adi Bock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adi Bock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 10:50am
Thanks all. As Old Surfer said- this will really open up the interior. 

I know I'm changing topics here, but did anyone do anything to deflect that heater under the bed to utilize more of that storage space under the bed? It would have to be fire resistant and allow for cold air intake. 
CamperMan
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 10:08am
I bet the ratio is more like 50:50 (not that I'm disagreeing with furpod).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Old Surfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Surfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2022 at 10:05am
I removed the one by the bed and shorten the other one by about 10". Boy, it makes for a lot more living space.
Rick and Melanie
2008 Tundra CrewMax 4-Wheel Drive
2015 R-179
Surfer
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 5:10pm
Probably 40% of 179 owners have removed one, or both. No issues.
Adi Bock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Adi Bock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2022 at 2:56pm
Hi I have a new to me 2015 Rpod 179. I hope that this is not repeating an older post. If it is perhaps someone could send me a link to it!

Does anyone know if the rounded bolsters that stick out from the couch in the slide have any role in supporting the slide out  that is retracted  while traveling? Where i am going....I'd like to remove the one closest to the bed.  Thanks!
CamperMan
 Post Reply Post Reply