R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tucson/Nogales

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tucson/Nogales
    Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 2:59pm
In January, so will we.  Cry

The earth work and concrete are done by subcontractors.  Supposedly they know what they're doing, especially since they're local.  It'll be done by next week.

I doubt they have concrete freezing problems in los Nogales, but summer work has got to be pretty challenging as it is for the bomberos.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 2:15pm
It'll freeze at some point. Enjoy sunny CA.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 11:19am
I don't know much about cold weather concrete since I'm new to this climate.  They say it's no problem until the ground freezes, formerly in mid-January.  Now who knows?  It may never freeze.  Also, they say they have heat mats and for only $4 a yard, they'll batch mix with hot water.

I'll try to post a foto of the geezers when I get one.  Going to CA for Christmas, so it won't be until after the New Year.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 9:17am
Getting pretty cold in CT to be pouring g concrete isn't it? 

For photos  you click on the tree icon, the instructions to upload and post are there. Be sure to resize to something like 800x600 pixels. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 8:09am
I don't know how to post pictures here any more.  Shocked

We do wear hard hats when we are stacking trusses or doing other overhead work.  As for the house we're currently working on, we are going to have the fun of using some newly purchased wall jacks.  We have 6 houses currently underway; two enclosed and getting dry walled, two being framed, and two new foundations going in. 
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 7:57am
LA, you should post a similar picture of your Habitat crew. Do y'all have hard hats when when you're raising those trusses, or only the eldest like the MX crew? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 6:50am
He looks about the same as the guys I work with building Habitat for Humanity houses in CT.  Everyone on our framing crew is over 65, with most in their 70's.  I'm the oldest at 75.  You should see us rolling joists, lifting walls, and stacking trusses.  Big smile
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 11:50pm
Now that is one fit looking 73 year old. Perhaps hiking miles in the Sonoran desert fighting fires is the secret to longevity? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 1:11pm
¡Que padre!
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
tcj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote tcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 9:40am
An interesting Mexico Border story. This fire was 8 miles west of Nogales

In April 2008 I was on the Alamo Fire on the Coronado NF. The fire started in Mexico near the border and burned into the Coronado. There were six fire fighters (Bomberos) on the Mexico side. They had walked several miles to get there. The Crew boss was 73 years old and the only one that had a hard hat. They all wore nomex shirts and blue jeans. There were armed Federales on horse back to protect the Bomberos from drug smugglers. Our deputy Incident Comander met with them and asked what fire fighting equipment equipment they would most like to have. The answer was sleeping bags, so he got some bags from our supply unit and gave to them to keep.

Bomberos on the Mexico side with our Division Supervisors

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>