R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Grease guns & bearings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jato View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grease guns & bearings
    Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 12:11pm
IF you know the shop that greased your bearings, ask, and they will let you know.  If not, your best bet is to take the hubs off, clean out the old grease, and hand pack them yourself.  If you aren't into DIY, then have your trustworthy shop do it, make sure you let them know you want the old grease removed.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
molly_mirbane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote molly_mirbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 10:58am
How would I know what kind of grease is in the bearings currently? It was done at a shop. Is there a way to tell?
RPod 172 / 2013
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 10:09am
Be careful on the amount of grease you pump into the hub.  Both of the R-Pods I have owned, from the factory had to much grease pumped into the hub.  The factory grease seals are not very good at keeping the grease in the hub therefore the brakes and magnet was soaked with grease.  I do not use the zerk fitting the lube the bearings.  The hubs are removed and the bearing are hand packed. 
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 8:56am
I have a "hub cap" (in quotes because it only covers the hole in the center of the rim) that precludes access to the grease fitting with the tire on the trailer.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 6:57am
Originally posted by David and Danette

I don't understand the reason for removing the wheel. I jacked up our camper and put grease in using the quick lube fitting and would spin the wheel as I was inserting the grease. Does the weight of the wheel on the hub make a difference?

No.  The way you are currently doing this is the correct procedure; turning the wheel as you insert grease so that it gets to all parts of the hub.  Every other year I do remove the wheel and inspect bearings and clean the old out if necessary.  The critical thing which has been addressed above is to not mix different grease.   

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 3:42am
   I don't understand the reason for removeing the wheel. I jacked up our camper and put grease in using the quick lube fitting and would spin the wheel as I was inserting the grease. Does the weight of the wheel on the hub make a difference?
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Options Post Options   Quote molly_mirbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 12:19am
Hope my experience can help you avoid a similar fate!!
RPod 172 / 2013
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 9:50pm
Now you're scaring me. Big smile

I'm heading out to South Dakota in June and will definitely need to deal with greasing before then. Until then it's more local trips.

Post Options Post Options   Quote molly_mirbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 4:47pm
interesting. thank you! we had a bad failure last summer -- bearings, axle, the whole shebang. it cost thousands to fix. i want to maintain it properly this time.
RPod 172 / 2013
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 2:54pm
Assuming your axle looks like mine (zerk fitting hiding behind a rubber plug in the middle of the hub) here's the procedure.
My Lippert suspension manual suggests every 12 months/36,000 miles.  You'll need to jack up the side and remove the wheel to get to the hub.

I've just determined that this is my hub and I'm evaluating the grease gun & grease. I think which grease to buy is more of the issue. The manual basically says "Add more of the kind that's there, don't mix types without cleaning out the old grease" but also has specific grease recommendations.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>