R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Installing Bike Rack

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gpokluda View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing Bike Rack
    Posted: 16 May 2024 at 9:35am
Make sure you get a rack that is RV rated. Not all racks are created equal and things hanging off the back of an RV tend to be subjected to stronger forces. ETrailer has a bunch that are RV rated. Also, make sure that there is a lot of clearance between the bike handle bars and the rear window on your 179. Several folks on the Escape forum failed to account for this and discovered their bike handle bars impacted and shattered the back window.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2024 at 7:35am
I have done what you are planning on and if I had to do it over again I would not do it.  That being said I have a 2019 179 and I removed the spare tire rack and obtained hide-a-spare rack for the spare tire mounted to the frame of the trailer under the floor behind the rear axel. I went to a local fabricator and had them make and install a steel rear bumper attached to the frame of the trailer.  A 2" receiver was welded to that.  I have a "Yakima" bike rack to carry 2 regular bikes. I found that the all that added to the rear of the trailer, going down a bumpy (wash board type) road the frame of the rear of the trailer was flexing way too much.  So thus now a I have a steel bumper and a hide-a-spare behind the gray water tank in the rear. Our bike rack is mounted to tongue of the trailer above the LP gas tank.  In hind sight I would not try and carry my bikes on the rear of the trailer.  Hope this helps you.  
Jay

179/2019
Old Man Running View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Old Man Running Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2024 at 1:04am
I am planning to weld/bolt a 2-inch receiver on my R-Pod 196 rear bumper so that I can install a bike rack for two E-Bikes.  Of course, I would have to remove the spare tire from the rear bumper.  I am wondering if anyone else has done this modification with successful results.  The concern I have is whether the existing bumper will support the weight of the bike rack (estimated weight of 60 lbs.) as well as two E-Bikes, (combined weight of 115 lbs.) without adding support to the bumper.  I have estimated the total additional weight to be 145 lbs., as follows:  rack 60 lbs. + bikes 115 lbs. less the spare tire 30 lbs.  The other issue is the cantilever effect of adding weight to the rear without additional weight to the front of the trailer thereby reducing the tongue weight and possibly making the trailer unstable while driving.                 
 Post Reply Post Reply