Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New RPod owner
    Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 8:13pm
During warmer outside temps this fall mine hovered around 39-40. I wasn't carrying the thermometer yet during the hot summer months.

I'm not sure we have much of a case to bring to FR. According to the USDA: "Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 and 140 °F, the "Danger Zone," some doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. A refrigerator set at 40 °F or below will protect most foods."
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
plmain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 2:30pm
Sometimes we could make ice overnight on cool Alaska and Canada nights and sometimes it might not make ice for 2 days if we were parked somewhere. Usually we just had to dump our ice trays when we were on the move and buy our ice.
It was better than no frig at all most of the time but still irritating.
Pat
plmain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 2:25pm
Thanks
That would be great news!
Pat
kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Hodge-PODge

Maybe we should all complain to FR about the Dometic fridge.

Mine goes in on November 4th to my dealer.  Previously Susan at FR had told me that we might have a control panel issue.  I'll let you know if ours turns up any results and if we find a fix.
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 8:53pm
Maybe we should all complain to FR about the Dometic fridge.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

kymooses View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 4:51pm
Have issues with our fridge like that as well, sometimes I think we go above 40.  I've mentioned this to my dealer several times through the summer and now that I take it in after our season is over I'm going to try and get our fridge replaced or fixed or something.

Takes ours being in the "cool" months for temps to get in the low or mid 30's.   Angry
Hodge-PODge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 3:27pm
I've complained on this forum about my fridge, too.  The temperature stays just under 40, with 38 about the coolest I can ever get, even with a battery operated fan inside.  I've not been real happy about that.  Of course it was about 95 degrees outside, so the fridge was having a job to cool anyway.
2011 RP 177, the Hodge-PODge
2011 Mercedes ML350
"A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it."

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 3:09pm
Ah, I forgot about that area under the shower. I'm going to have to look into this, don't forget source link(s) along with your pics! Our electric heater just sits on the floor, mostly in the way.

Easiest way to test is remove the bottom panel (outside) and direct an electric heater into it. Should be more than enough heat even in cold weather to trip the thermostat. Look for both fans to turn on - they are variable-speed so with some playing around with the heater you should be able to get them to go from slow to fast. If they don't turn on or appear to be always slow that is at least part of your problem. In the summer when its hot out and they are on full-speed there is a noticeable sound when you are inside or outside.

They didn't bother baffling well, so you could try using something (aluminum foil, cardboard, etc) to better separate the upper compartment from the lower compartment, forcing more air through the fans. Downside if you camp w/o hookups a lot is this may increase the use of the fans and thus battery power - but w/o baffling when the fans turn on they do more to mix up the air than to blow it up and out. A trade-off either way.

Make sure the pod is level when you run the fridge. Too lopsided and you can kill the fridge due to crystals building up. Modern fridges are more tolerant but still susceptible to this.
plmain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 1:01pm
Thanks for the tip. We had a thermometer in the frig but a wireless remote job sounds like the ticket. Temp was always maxed out and the exaust fan did run But I couldn't say it ran correctly. What is this test?
Tailgate up - lift kit to avoid compressed air under the camper due to my truck being so tall - a topper with a fin to delect air over camper. These were a few suggestions for better mileage I received.
The heat blows into the living area. There is a big enough area under the shower floor for the heater installation box to protrude into. Exposed part of the heater is about 10 inches square and sticks out from the wall about 1/2 inch and a couple inches above the floor directly below the bathroom light switch on our model. I will attempt to post some pics after I catch up on some overdue Honeydo's.
Pat
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2011 at 12:44pm
Oh, and to post a new thread look for a button in the upper-left area of your screen when you are looking at the listing of threads. From the home page click into a forum, then look for the button.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>