R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closednew tow vehicle question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: new tow vehicle question
    Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 10:35pm
I think the 3.31 diff. should work fine. The rpod is not that big of a trailer. We have the 3.92 diff. only because we bought ours on the lot, we did not order it that way. If you do a lot of highway driving the 3.31 will give you better gas mileage, I mostly drive city and rural roads where the 3.92 does not make a big difference with the mpg. But if I get on interstate it does make a difference. You can tow a little more weight with a lower gear, but the rpod fully loaded to the max would never reach the limit of your tow capacity. Hope this helps in your decision.   David
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 9:36pm

Different manufacturers have slightly different axle ratios, but in general they are close to:

3.3-3.4, higher speeds possible, less torque at low speeds, best mpg

3.7, best middle-of-the-road gearing, better low-end torque but still decent mpg

4.1, best torque for heavy loads but worst mpg, very high rpms at highway speed

For the heavy duty towing vehicle you describe I would go with the 3.31 for use with the pod, it will only be about 3000 pounds when loaded.  My Suburban is similar in specs with the heavy duty towing package, 6 speed tranny, 3.42 rear and I've never wished I had a different ratio.  Very happy to get a little better mpg day to day.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 6:28pm
One of my clients has an Expedition with the heavy duty trailer package.  I don't know what ratio the axle is, but I do know that the rear springs are the same as an F250 pickup.  It is stout!

It may depend on the year, but my F150, 2010, is 3.31 and with the 6 speed auto transmission it is low enough.  I turn less than 2000 RPM at 65 and it pulls the pod like it isn't even there.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 12:39pm
we are trying to find a new tow vehicle-a Ford Expedition. I have found one with the heayy duty tow package but it has a 3.31 rear axle ratio instead of the 3.73 ratio. the tow  package has a transmission cooler, a heavy duty radiator , the wire harness for brake controller and hitch.

We plan on taking the Rpod on long distance, cross country trips-eventually driving from NC to Calif and even to Alaska.

What do you think the difference in axle ratios really means?/ Is it power, torque, gas milage, longevity???

Should I continue to search for a TV that has the 3.73 axle or take the 3.31??

Thanks for any input.

Vann
 Post Reply Post Reply