R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: inverter, water heater, battery charge questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedinverter, water heater, battery charge questions - Event Date: 01 Dec 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: inverter, water heater, battery charge questions
    Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by Fluffy

Hello all
We are fairly new Podders and have some questions.

1. We have a TRIPP-LITE DC to AC inverter (Powerverter). When we have it on "auto" so that we can plug in our computer etc, it HUMS a rather obnoxious hum. When it is on "charge only" it does not hum. Is the hum normal?

My guess is that Sean is right about the fan being the source of the hum.  But what do you mean about having it on "charge only"?  What is it charging?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 10:29pm
The inverter hum is probably a fan. On charge it probably doesn't draw enough to turn on the fan.
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 4:50pm

I agree, most inverters make a humming noise, usually more hum the bigger the inverter.

As mentioned, no need to worry about the water heater.  Don't drain it all camping season and it will always have water in it even if the fresh water tank empties. 

Your last question is a "maybe".  Make sure the wire running to the +12 connection on your Bargeman (7 pin connector) is at least 10 gauge wire, and understand that if you run your fridge on 12 volt mode it will use about 10 amps by itself - a large load.  I usually use the gas mode on the road, partly so this load isn't present on the charge line.  Also some TVs will automatically increase the voltage from the alternator when in tow mode to help put more amps into the camper battery.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Leo B View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 3:52pm
We use an inverter often and it does make kind of a humming noise.
Leo & Melissa Bachand
2017 Ford F150
2021 Vista Cruiser 19 csk
Previously owned
2015 Rpod 179
2010 Rpod 171
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 2:22pm
1.  I have never worked with this inverter, but all the ones I have worked with have made noise when converting DC to AC.  This is years old information.  I haven't used one in years.  I hope others here have used this particular unit and can help you.

2. If your on board water tank runs dry you do need to turn off the pump, but since the pump is between the tank and the heater the heater should not be dry.  Since it will not be needed until the tank is full again I would turn it off, but I don't think it will hurt anything if you don't.  If in fact the water heater did empty with the electric element on it will be gone before you can react anyway.

3. If you TV is wired for it your battery will charge while driving.  That included an ample sized wire running from the TV to the connector on the Pod.

Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
Fluffy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2013 at 1:02pm
Hello all
We are fairly new Podders and have some questions.

1. We have a TRIPP-LITE DC to AC inverter (Powerverter). When we have it on "auto" so that we can plug in our computer etc, it HUMS a rather obnoxious hum. When it is on "charge only" it does not hum. Is the hum normal? 

2. If we are taking a shower and the on board water runs out mid shower, do we have to leap out and turn off the water heater so it does not burn out the heating element?

3. When we are driving, does the car charge the 12 v battery? (We have solar in Arizona, and so never need to worry about charging on the road).

Thanks so much

Post Reply Post Reply