Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ANGCHIEF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New 178 HRE Owner
    Posted: 20 May 2014 at 8:17am
We crossed the border coming and going at Sweetwater in Montana, so can't tell you anything about the prairie; the farthest east we were was Edmonton.  Upper midwest is beautiful (and of course Northern Michigan is gorgeous!).  Our trip to out we left on I-94 around the southern edge of Chicago and that was such a rat race; we came back through the UP of Michigan and down the center of the state and that was better.  On the way out we stopped at Mt. Rushmore as we had never been there.  Don't forget to get a Next Exit, Trailer Life Campground Directory and Milepost (a must for Alaska) so you don't miss anything!  We are prior military so stayed at as many military base Fam Camps as we could and there is a directory for them, also.  Should be the trip of a lifetime for you and something to write about in your daughter's Baby Book.  Keep posting!
Jan and Dean
2014 178
bcskimiller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2014 at 1:07am
ANGCHIEF, Thanks!  I think my wife is starting to realize this is more road trip and less hiking trip...and my 1 year old is already starting to freak out! ha We are working to mitigate some of the longer stretches by flying the wife and kid to Seattle so I can bust it out the first 1300 miles in a couple days (this trip is not about the West Coast...).  Between Banff area and then across southern Canada prairie land is there anything to do (no offense to those that live in the area, just dont know)?  Moving to NC, so tentatively planning to head across southern CA then down thru your neck of the woods on my way South.  And noted for the second nod to skip the haul road...
Me, the Wife, 3 Kids 5 and under...its Crowded!
2014 RP-178 HRE
2017 Expedition EL 4WD
ANGCHIEF View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2014 at 10:54pm
We took a truck camper to Alaska in 2012 and our 2014 178 Pod will make the trip in a couple of weeks. It took us 16 days to get to Fairbanks, and that was with a 2 day layover in Ft. Nelson, BC because of Alaskan Highway washouts. You have an ambitious plan for 2 months, as it took 16 days to get home to Michigan from Valdez, down the Cassair Highway and over to Banff and Jasper (which shouldn't be missed!!). 2 months was really pushing it and we didn't stay long in any one place. Distances between places are long and the driving is slow most times with frost sinks/construction. Make sure to stop and see the sights. Don't count on driving the Haul Road; even the locals will advise against it!!Make sure to keep in touch. We'll watch for you and you watch for us!!! Pods are hard to miss!!
Jan and Dean
2014 178
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 10:37am
Yup, we've had a winter pod campout in January the last few years (although for various reasons the most recent one was cancelled), with temps down to around 10 F each time.  I stay comfortable with a small electric heater (there are electric hookups).  The campground also has a heated bath house, so that solves many problems.  I only use the pod's bathroom in the middle of the night and keep a jug of RV antifreeze in there for flush water.  What ends up in the black tank stays there until spring.  I keep several jugs of fresh water in the pod for drinking, brushing teeth, washing hands, and any water used ends up in a dish pan sitting in the sink.  That gets dumped in the bushes.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2014 at 12:44am
P&M,
It was my first real road trip with the Pod, and spent the night in it.  I was nervous because it was not winterized and it got down into the high 20s the second night, but had no problems.  It seems to have decent insulation so far, there are inches of foam in the floor if nothing else.  I plan to use it in the future for base camping at the mountain, even had a buddy give me his old set of chains!  It is not rated "4 Seasons" like some, but as long as you can live without running water, shouldn't have any problems at all! You can find some folks on here who talk about using these all winter long including some good pointers...Cheers!
2014 RP-178 HRE
2017 Expedition EL 4WD
P&M View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2014 at 11:15am
Congrats and welcome!  Quick question on the Mammoth pic ... did you just take it up for the day, or did you spend the night in it also?  As we are moving back to WA state and looking forward to getting more skiing in, we are thinking about going the Pod route so I am curious ... thanks.
P & M ... and Comet too!
2012 171 -- The Monkey Pod
2018 Ram 2500

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 7:27pm
furpod, the Southern Sierras are absolutely spectacular; I will probably miss them more than anything else about living in Southern California; so much variety and something for every season!
2014 RP-178 HRE
2017 Expedition EL 4WD

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 7:24pm

freezingalaskan, Thanks for the thoughts...was already figuring out where to add 3 jerry cans to the car/pod, maybe now only need one!  Already planning for spare tires on the roof (silly Ford only putting a mini on something as big as the Explorer).  I am used to camping in the desert for days, so no water/pump station/cell/help isn’t really a major concern.  Having a trailer for a hard shell to sleep in is already a luxury!  The silt in the car/trailer is more concerning...my goal is at least to the Arctic Circle and may be to Coldfoot...there is gas there.

This will probably will be my only chance to get up that far north, and north of the Arctic is a strange fascination of mine.  In reality, knocking off that extra couple days to get all the way to Prudhoe Bay and back will provide more time to get other places.  Homer is on my list, the Parks/Richardson Hwy loop, including Denali is as well.  I've got several friends in Kodiak, so I may try and get a ferry down for a couple days (if I can get a reservation).  Regardless of how it works out, it's going to be an adventure!

Another reason why I like this forum...there are people willing to help from all over the country!  Thanks!
2014 RP-178 HRE
2017 Expedition EL 4WD
freezingalaskan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 1:29pm
Congratulations on your purchase. I have a 172 and we had a great first season last year. I do have to comment on your travel plans..."We bought a trailer because we are moving this summer and have almost 2 months off...so our goal is from San Diego to north of the Arctic Circle (Prudhoe Bay hopefully) then across Canada".

I cannot say for sure if you plan on using your own car or tow the RPod up to Prudhoe Bay, but I would not recommend driving up to Prudhoe Bay with anything you own. Especially not your nice car and trailer. You are looking at mud, fine silt-type sand that will find each and every nook on your car/trailer. You have no services along the road, so you will have to haul gasoline with you. No water to fill the tanks, and no dump stations. No cellphone coverage. You would have to bring two spare tires for your car and two spares for the RPod.

Car rental companies won't let you drive that road either. A motorcycle rental place in Anchorage will rent a motorcycle to you if you pay extra to drive that road due to the wear and tear on the motorcycle. Or, you could join a group ride that they organize. Sorry to tell you this, but it is the reality. I have lived in Alaska for 20 years and have no desire to go that road due to the troubles once may find oneself in....

However, drive north to Fairbanks and then north east to Chena Hot Springs. Great place! I recommend taking the Parks Highway up from Anchorage, and then return back on Richardson Hwy (or reverse it). Glenn Hwy is beautiful as well (between Anchorage and Glennallen), but you will work your vehicle hard going up long hills.

Anchorage to Seward and or Homer is great. Seward is a favorite of mine and you can camp right by the ocean....

I do hope you make it to Alaska.

freezingalaskan
Volvo XC90 '13
rPod 179 '16
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2014 at 1:08pm
Welcome, and nice pics.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>