R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo who is a counter laminate expert?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Budward View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: So who is a counter laminate expert?
    Posted: 31 May 2014 at 6:55am
Originally posted by techntrek

That sucks.  At least the solution is fairly easy.  If they are calling for clear weather for a while I'd crank up the heat in the pod and leave that gap open as long as possible, to drive out the water.

Yup, gonna be parking it with the back facing the sun the next few weeks when I can.  It stays under a shed when not in use.
Thought about leaving the Fantastic on low with all windows shut to draw a small vacuum on the trailer too, that helps remove moisture.
My replacement counter top is on order and the dealer will check for any further water damage when he installs it.  I'm thinking of hole sawing an inspection port under the counter in the back wall to see how wet the insulation is, wood damage etc..    It will be hidden since it is on the back interior wall under the countertop, would seal it back up when done, or maybe leave it available just with a screwed on cover for future inspection.

From what I saw in some factory pics the front and rear are fiberglass batt rather than foam-  just what I would not want to get wet since it holds moistureCry
BTDT that with another RV already...
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Sleepless View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Budward

But- I checked with a local RV repair business and to my pleasant surprise I found they do FR warranty work even though they aren't a selling dealer for them!

I don't want to hijack your thread, but there is one point that most of us don't know.  When I had my 2010 R-Pod, there was no FR dealer in my area to do the lighting recall work.  I contacted Susan of FR, told her my tale of woe, and she arranged for our local RV dealer to be designated as one of their service centers.  This worked out well.  My point here is that although you don't have a local RF RV dealer, there is an alternative.  My dealer was happy to have the additional work for its service department.

Bob
2014 R-Pod 178 (OUR POD)
2009 Chevrolet Avalanche
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 10:12pm
That sucks.  At least the solution is fairly easy.  If they are calling for clear weather for a while I'd crank up the heat in the pod and leave that gap open as long as possible, to drive out the water.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2014 at 7:14pm
Well we found the source of the water that damages the counter this past week while camped in the Smokies-    the top left of the rear window had a gap where they cut the hole too big and then failed to caulk it....slopped caulk all over the bottom edge of the window and up the sides...skipped the top left corner!    I'm thinking someone spotted this issue when caulking and forgot to fix it properly. 
Believe it or not this was the first time we had been in the rain in the 6 weeks we've owned it..
I am highly disappointed in FR over their lack of QC.  Now I'm worried there is hidden damage in the wood paneling and framing in the back wall.   
2014 179
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2014 at 2:06am
Update-   called FR about the counter issue and received a return call 24 hours later.
Not too bad of a response time, and frankly the way so many businesses seem not to care about their customers I'm surprised I even heard backSmile

Unfortunately they won't ship me the counter due to liability issues.

But- I checked with a local RV repair business and to my pleasant surprise I found they do FR warranty work even though they aren't a selling dealer for them!  5 miles away instead of 100+, that is a huge cost and time saver for me, especially since 2 round trips will be required!
FR also told me it would be about 2 weeks to get the countertop once they receive the claim.

And- since my family has spent in excess of $10,000 there on RV repairs I'm hoping they'll let me get access to the counter top before installation to pre-seal the edges to help prevent any water damage in the future.

$10,000 ?  Yes- my 85 yr old dad had 2 incidents in the last year with his motorhome before he reluctantly agreed to give it upEmbarrassed

BTW the place is Tony's RV in Lexington SC if anyone ever needs quality work done.  The work on dad's motorhome which involved fiberglass repair and painting was excellent, and I'm very picky about such thingsBig smile
2014 179
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2014 at 10:37am
Amazing they are still using particle board.  I complained about it in 2010:

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 8:30pm
  The table top in our Vibe weighed 65 Lbs. I replaced it with 3/4" birch plywood, top and leg with hinge weighs 25 lbs. its stronger will not easily sag or be damaged by water. We replaced the kitchen counter top with the same, did all this when we first brought it home new from the dealer. It makes no sense why they use particle board, its heavy, sags and is easily damaged by water. Sorry to hear of your problem and hope you are able to get it repaired without to much trouble. Myself I would not bother with replacing it with the same particle board, use some plywood and if possible Baltic birch.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2014 at 8:21am
I've done laminate application in the past.    I was just trying to save the existing so it matches the table..
I think I'll have the dealer obtain the replacement counter- if I get tired of waiting I'll just do it myself.  If I can find a match-great- if not..oh well.
BTW I looked at using Corian-  WOW! $400+- a sheet...I don't think so.

I have encountered problems with lack of factory sealing in the past and FR is no better.
Word to the wise-  pull your stove top off and see if they left unsealed HOLES in the corners of the counter where they mounted the stove.
See pic below.
 Boil something over on the stove, or have a spill and you too can be the proud owner of a swollen countertop.
 I found these and sealed them in the first few days of ownership. In fact I lifted the stove and caulked the entire perimeter, which is the small amount of sealant in the pic, then I went and filled the holes after the pic was taken.  I've had to do this to several RVs in the past.

BTW the damage to the counter that this thread was about was not evident when I sealed the stove top.

My current theory is maybe the faucet assembly was swiveled over out of the sink, the faucet was open, when during PDI,  the dealer attached the hose and turned on the water, thereby flooding the countertop.  It takes awhile for the swelling to set in, hence the reason we didn't detect it until after a week had passed.   And like someone mentioned they did not caulk the edge trim, just the perimeter of the counter....
2014 179
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 7:34pm
I agree with marwayne.  DIY laminating is actually fairly easy and you can use plywood as a base which makes the definable product lighter than the particle board used in the pods.  I am tempted, but haven't yet redone my interior surfaces- the counter top and table top.  I have several pieces of camping gear that are laminated, including two boxes that make a outdoor kitchen with a laminated counter, a shelf over the pod fender and another box for storage with a laminate lid. Laminate from the big box stores comes in ~ 4x8 sheets and the cement is a rubber based contact cement. The material cuts with a saw and edges with a router or file.  The job is a nice DIY project.  Walt

Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
marwayne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2014 at 1:20pm
Bud,I wouldn't bother saving the old laminate it is not worth the trouble. The problem with those counters is the edging, it is just a friction fit with no sealant, any water on the counter will find it's way to the edge and soak in, therein lies the problem. I never liked the dark laminate and wanted to brighten up the inside of our pod. I used 3/4" birch plywood put an oak edge on it, put on almond laminate and beveled the top edge. I did the same with the table and the counter back splash.

If you want something done right, do it yourself.
2011 RP172, 2016 Tundra 5.7 Litre, Ltd.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>