R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPower cord adapter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power cord adapter
    Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 9:29am

I agree that a "hockey puck" or "dog bone" adapter, used with the existing 10 gauge (30 amp) cord, is easiest.  If you really want to use a 12 or 14 gauge extension cord coming from the camper you can find a short adapter for about $15-20 online.  Google "L5-30R to 5-20P".

This is one example, but it is way too expensive.  http://www.lockingpowercords.com/products/86-5-15p-to-l5-30r-plug-adapter.aspx

I also recommend you get about a half-dozen of these, for the pod and around the house.  In the pod I use one on my water hose, power cord, power cord extension, and the 15 amp extension cord.  http://www.lowes.com/pd_316747-1781-CW-T3RR25_4294722508__?productId=3439228&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 8:30am
Adapters are available at Walmart or any place that caters to campers/RV owners.  Or you can make one with parts from Home Depot or Lowes, but that will probably cost more than one from Walmart.  Walmarts usually have a little section for RV goodies between camping and automotive.  You want 30 to 15 or 20 amp.  As someone else said, you do not want 50 amp plug.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 5:15am
I made the same thing as above- only I made mine about 8 ft.  I use it connect to a generator without dragging out the big bulky cord.  I also use it at home to connect to an extension cord to run the power convertor.
If you just want to run the camper without the air conditioner you only need a 14 gauge cable between the adapters, since most extension cords are that size.  You could even cut off the female end of your extension cord and put the L5-30R directly on it.

Beware-   I bought a L5-30R connector sold by Amazon, made by Well Shin,  that was a shock hazard that could have been deadly.   The hot and neutral screw colors were reversed so be SURE to check what you buy if you make one.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 1:02am
A regular 120V plug and a L530C twist lock plug with 10 gauge SO cable.

Cary
2014 RP-177
Cap-n-Cray View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 12:42am
I made a short adapter. I use it when I just need to run a hair dyer off the generator, who'd of thought it would be important. Cost maybe $20 in parts. I'll post a photo.
Cary
2014 RP-177
jan demarinis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2014 at 12:00am
Here's my two cents: The power cord that came with the Pod is 30 amp not 50. Any hardware store has adapters for a 30 amp to 15/20 amp regular house/extension cord plug. This is what I did and it works great. There are a lot of electric genius' on this forum, I am sure they will chime in. You can read the previous threads about this. Good luck.

Cookpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 11:45pm
I'm looking for an adapter that will allow me to use a standard extension cord instead of the bulky 50 amp cord that came with the trailer. Would like to be able to use standard extension cord for basic battery charging, fridge pre-cooling, etc. 

So far I am only finding them in the $80 range but i don't think I need anything that stout. If anyone has found something similar for a reasonable price any info or links would be appreciated. 
 Post Reply Post Reply