R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: A/C fan is behaving like "auto" when set to "low"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedA/C fan is behaving like "auto" when set to "low"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
marspball View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C fan is behaving like "auto" when set to "low"
    Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:28pm
3 years and multiple trips later, I finally won my battle against the dealership and Dometic. Dometic finally agreed to replace the entire AC unit on my RPOD. 
hammockmadness View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:00pm
Does everyone's A/C have a droning noise when the comperssor is running?  I know it's extremely loud, but the droning drives me nuts.  I think it's because the fan and compessor are running at different speeds, setting up the resonance, but obviously nothing can be done about that. 
Dana & Regina
Fleetwood & Jasper
2014 181-G
2014 Silverado 4X4
marspball View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 4:34pm
Hi everyone,

This has been an ongoing issue for me so far. My question is, if you set your fan speed to "Lo" and then switch it to "Cool" mode, what happens to your a/c fan when it reaches the set temp?

My A/C shuts off, fan included as can be seen in this video: https://youtu.be/QZrLmi5qMzU

I took the Rpod to the shop for warranty support and apparently dometic is saying that they want the thermostat and circuit board sent back for testing. If they can't find anything wrong with the board and thermostat, then my warranty work is not covered and I have to pay for everything out of my own pocket. Before I proceed, I just wanted to make sure that my A/c is indeed defective. Please help.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:49pm
I'd just use the low setting, we've never used the high setting.  The extra noise isn't worth the little extra air movement.  Plus the lower setting allows the air to be dried more as it goes over the evaporator.

There are several things I've done to mine to make it quieter.  It still isn't what I would call quiet, but it is quieter.  I listed them here:  www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1433&KW=&PID=49114&title=possible-replacement-for-the-a-c#49114
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
marspball View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:39am

The fan stays on when it set on high and in the cool mode. But when the fan is set to low and then switched to cool mode, the fan shuts off after a few min. I don't know why Forest River install such a large A/C for a small TT.

I'm going to take it back to the dealership for warranty and I hope they can fix it. Even though the A/C makes a loud noise, I want to be able to sleep with the fan on and the compressor cycling on/off throughout the night.
trvlnlite View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 1:40pm
I hate that Thermostat!!  I think it is risky...We should have the opportunity to adjust the fan speed while ready in the "Cool" mode.  But we can't...We have to go out of the Cool Mode...adjust the fan THEN go back to the AC Mode.  

I read one poster who apparently went in to make sure the AC fan was running on high...she set the fan on high...but forgot to turn it back to AC mode.  They had animals, and disastrous results.  I printed out a big warning label and stuck it next to my thermostat for my family to read.  This was just horrible.

I have had the AC on while the fan was on high, but did not try the low setting...It sounds like a jet engine in that setting and just horrible.

Of all the thinks I love about the R Pod I hate the thermostat and think it is risky and unpredictable.
Have a great day...The Michelsens, 2015-182G and Boston's x 2
marspball View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 12:05pm
Same problem is back. I tried to initialize it again but didn't make a difference this time.

The manual states this:

Single Zone LCD Thermostat Operating Instructions

“Cool” - Cool Mode

In the Cool mode the system will cycle the compressor On and Off based on the room air temperature and the temperature set-point on the Single Zone LCD thermostat. The fan will turn on first followed by the compressor in approximately 2 minutes. In this mode there

are 3 fan speed selections:

Lo - (LOW): The fan operates continuously at low speed. The compressor cycles ON and OFF.

Hi - (HIGH): The fan operates continuously at high speed. The compressor cycles ON and OFF.

Au - (AUTO): When auto fan is selected the fan speed will vary depending on the difference between the temperature set-point and the room air temperature. In auto fan the compressor and the fan will cycle On and Off with the thermostat. See “Special Features” on page 11 for information on auto fan.

In order to select this fan speed, I am assuming that you press the Mode button to select "Fan" and then choose between the "Lo" "Hi" "Auto". You then press the "Mode" button again and change it to "Cool" and the A/C will operate in the fan speed selection that you choose?

Can your fan stay on all the time when you are using the A/C in "Cool" mode?

Thanks.
marspball View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2014 at 1:47am
Hi Budward,

The intialization process did the trick. Thank you so much.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 8:11pm
Two examples of RV technology going backwards.  At least I have the manual thermostat - I wish the fridge was like my old pup's fridge.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Budward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2014 at 5:24am
The thermostat has an initialization process, similar to a reset.
Have you tried that?

From the Dometic info-

System Initialization
A system initialization will need to be performed by the installer after
the system is installed.
• Make sure the Single Zone LCD thermostat is in the Off condition.
• Press the “+” button and, while holding it, also press and hold
the On/Off Mode button for three seconds. LCD will show
― ― . Press the On/Off Mode button again to turn system off.
This completes the initialization.

After the above is done you must set the furnace differential-

To set the temperature differential the system must be Off. Press
the “―” button and, while holding it, also press and hold the On/Off
Mode button for three seconds. Release the On/Off Mode button.
Then release the “―” button. Press the “+” button to toggle between
“d1” and “d2”, “d1” for 1 degree F differential and “d2” for 2 degrees
F differential.

Personally I miss the good ole days of a simple non digital t'stat on the A/C itself...
The "new improved" t'stat has the interesting feature that if for some reason you lose 12V DC power (convertor bad/battery dead)  then the A/C isn't going to work either.  Same with the fridge. Nice.
2014 179
Towed by a 2015 Ford Transit Diesel
Supervised by a German/Aussie mix and a Labradoodle!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>