R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy Sewer Hose Storage Solution - Event Date: 07 Aug 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bovine0001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: My Sewer Hose Storage Solution
    Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 9:58pm
I am doing this!!!
Escape Pod View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 10:12am
We are proud owners of a brand new 2014 178. We have started stocking it up and the first thing I needed to "fix" was the small sewer hose storage option on the 178. As a new owner, I scoured the Mods Forum and looked at all the great ideas and postings on how this can be corrected. After looking at the mods, I realized that I wanted an option the prevented tapping my new R Pod with screws and bolts. I wanted something that could be "reversed" if needed and no permanent scarring of the Pod. Here is what I came up with. If any of you guys see a potential problem with this , then I am HAPPY to hear it. I don't want to engineer a problem..and as I said, this option is easily undone.

I began by unbolting the attached DW 26inch tube. This was a logical mounting place for my 5x5 pvc post that I purchased from Home Depot. I used perforated pipe hanger banding and small ( maybe 1/4 inch long ) sheet metal screws like used to screw gutter together. After putting the hanger onto the tube with those screws, I noticed they penetrated the inside of the tube ever so much. I decided to remove them ( and the hanger) and file the screw tips down so there would be no chance of tearing the sewer hose when it was put in the tube. This was a pain but necessary. I reattached the screws in the original holes with the addition of some Gorilla Glue. This was done on the sides and bottom of the tube with enough hanger left to attach it over the top of the brackets of the original tube holder. The hanger was then attached to the bracket with the original bolts. Those had to be put back in upside down( nuts and washers on top of the bracket) to accommodate the new tube

I drilled the 5x5 end caps and installed a closeline bolt thru it to hold the cap in place. This is easily removed and attached for retrieval of the sewer hose and fittings. It was an inexpensive bolt for it's 7.5 inch length I needed. Two nuts came with the bolt. I can access the sewer hose from either end and decided on making it 58 inches long. This length can easily be shortened with a handsaw ( while still attached) if I find it's too long. The 5x5 tube hangs maybe an inch lower than the original 4.5 inch tube. And , once again, my objective to not drill my new 178 was achieved.

I did do one thing as an afterthought. The pipe hanger is very solid and secure. But it was not "tight" enough for my liking. It would move a bit even while secured. I put a tiewrap around the bracket and tube and pulled that very tight to eliminate this bit of movement. Everything was spray painted black and so the pipe hanger,screws and tiewrap almost disappear. I do appreciate any comments or recommendations to this project.

This is the attachment point on the left bracket.

[/IMG]

This is the attachment point on the right side of the bracket

This is the capped end with the bolt I used

This is the other capped end.

This is the hanger attached on one side with screws

[/URL

Front view.

Jim and Diane
2014 RPod 178
2011 Silverado 1500 Z71
 Post Reply Post Reply