R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich WDH to buy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Pod People View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which WDH to buy
    Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 6:33pm
I would agree with most of the posters above.  We tow our Pod with a Ford Expeditiion EL with the HD towing package.  We have towed our Pod more than 25,000 miles all over the country and always have used an Equalizer 4 point WDH(600# tongue weight model).  I know it is way overkill, but I hardly know the Pod is behind us.  The WDH helps to make the Pod totally steady.  I think our WDH cost about $500 when the dealer installed it 3 years ago.  I think it's the best insurance we have purchased.

I may not need it-but I wouldn't feel nearly as comfortable without it.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 4:46am
     Yes to above,we have a Ram 1500 and using a WDH the truck rides and handles better. We tow a Vibe but very close in weight and length of the 20' r-pods.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 8:21pm
Welcome.  +1 to what furpod said.  You can see below what I towed my pod with, and it rode much better with the WDH.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by podmeister

I bought our base model Pod on a year-end sale this fall.  It's the basic RP-172 model, 2128 # unloaded weight and 244# hitch weight. Have not had it out yet and plan a lengthy trip (about 4K miles total) starting in May.  My TV is a 2013 Ford F150, 5.0 V8.  I'm not getting clear recommendation from the dealer on whether I should invest in wt distributing hitch/sway control before that long trip.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

I don't know a better way to put this.. but it goes like this..

You will not, on paper, need a WDH.

However...

Many, like us, who for sure do not need a WDH on paper, like the way the pod tows with one.

Our eX has 9000 lb tow rating and has the "heavy duty tow package" option. It doesn't for a minute need a WDH, in fact we towed 2 years with our old eX, just on a standard hitch. But we owned a WDH for our Airstream, and I decided to use it with the Pod.. have not hooked up without it in the last two years. The eX definitely rides better with it.
johnmaci View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 6:53pm
Thank you for that information.
I had the mechanic from the RV dealer install the WDH for me when I bought it. I assumed he did it correctly, but will re-check this spring when I de-winterize for the next season.
podmeister View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 6:18pm
I bought our base model Pod on a year-end sale this fall.  It's the basic RP-172 model, 2128 # unloaded weight and 244# hitch weight. Have not had it out yet and plan a lengthy trip (about 4K miles total) starting in May.  My TV is a 2013 Ford F150, 5.0 V8.  I'm not getting clear recommendation from the dealer on whether I should invest in wt distributing hitch/sway control before that long trip.  Any thoughts or recommendations?
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by johnmaci

I have a 2013 Pathfinder SV 4WD with factory tow; allow me to point out some lessons learned:

1. You will need an anti-rattle device (you can see it on mine). The receiver on the pathfinder allows for enough play to drive you crazy. I purchased a RoadMaster Quiet Hitch and it works very well:
http://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hitch_Accessories-sf-Anti~Rattle-hs-Sleeve_Style.aspx
2. I purchased my WDH and anti-sway from Harbor Freight. The price was good and is not too complicated to install:
10000 lb. Capacity Weight-Distributing Hitch 67649 1 $199.99
Trailer Sway Control Kit 96462 1 $29.99
3. My mileage towing averages 12-14 MPG.
4. The CVT works quite well and smoothly since it does not need to constantly hunt for gears as does a regular transmission.
5. At some point I plan on upgrading the rear shocks for some Ranchos or similar since it still sags with the WDH a bit more than I like (cars still flash me at night).
6. Chains should be crossed left to right and vice-versa to form a cradle if the hitch were to disconnect/drop, so please ignore the fact I had them wrong when I took this picture :)

If I may offer a couple points..

A) changing your shocks will do nothing to fix squat or ride height. Ride height is strictly a function of springs, shocks only control movement of the body around the springs lift.

B) if you are using a WDH, and you are getting flashed at night, and still have rear squat, you do not have the WDH adjusted properly. Your WDH set up instructions should tell you to do your set up on a flat surface, and measure the ride height at the fender wells front and rear, then hook up, and adjust the WDH until it's distributing the weight across the axles evenly, as evidenced by the static ride height being the same after hook up as when not hooked up.

Camper Bob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 11:43am
Thanks for the chart. I didn't check the wheelbase but I believe I'm OK. I did look at many WDH that others had suggested. Some are quite a bit more expensive. Since they all do about the same job, I am going with the one from Amazon. Will wait till the holidays are over and will then order it. I hope it comes assembled. Since I am approaching my dotage, the hand/brain connections are fraying at the ends. For those who are also approaching their dotage, I'm sure YOU understand. Safe Travels.
Camper Bob and Camper Sue
Gracie the Wonder Dog (12 LB. Mini Dachshund)
2013 Rpod 171HRE(ORPod)
2016 Lance 1685
2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 9:32am
I ran across this WB Chart that suggests minimums for safe towing.

Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 7:58am
Bob, one consideration might be a bike rack. We use a Swagman 64664 which attaches to WDH shank. I was lucky because i had enough shank length with my Reese WDH. I can't say enough good things about the Swagman. It's a great bike rack. Pic in my signature below.

fred
2014 RPod 178 => MyMods and Buying Habits
2008 4Runner Limited 4.0-liter V6
Yes, those are wild ponies dining on grass while dumping tanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>