Message Reverse Sort Order
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coach-Net
    Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo

Read your contract carefully, some only tow the broken TV, and leave your trailer on the side of the road.      

Good point!  Always read the details.  For example: I have CAA RV+ coverage - the base level doesn't cover the trailer... or the motorcycle.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Old Dingo&Mrs.Dingo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 9:40am
Having used Coach Net, I'm sold!  My old Jeep TJ's ignition switch broke, Coach Net was there within 20 minutes, towed the Jeep to the dealer, and gave us a ride home, no additional costs.  Needless to say the TJ was not pulling my 'Pod.  I have not needed their help with my TV or 'Pod, but I have confidence they will be there when needed.  Unlike some road service providers Coach Net will tow your trailer as well as your TV.  Read your contract carefully, some only tow the broken TV, and leave your trailer on the side of the road.      
Old Dingo and/or Mrs. Dingo
181G
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
shroomer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 1:10am
Our insurance policy also covers towing and other emergency costs. Check yours. You might not need to double up the coverage.
Larry and Debbie w/Rosie the mutt. Old: '13 177, '06 Silverado V6
New: '15 Whitehawk 20MRB '14 Silverado V8
J&Jcf View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 2:45pm
I am a lifetime member of the American Motorcycle Association which for $29 per year provides towing & other assistance for all my motorcycles , family vehicles , and travel trailer.
I have used it on a couple of occasions for motorcycle towing (broken clutch cable & electrical
problem) without any problems.Its worked well for me.

Anybody can become a member with the same benefits for (l think ) $45 per year.Can Google it for exact info.
J. - 2011 rpod 171
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 2:01pm
All very agreeable statements, I'm only suggesting that I can call for a wrecker myself.
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
Seanl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:50pm
Hey I am with out outbound. My wife is of the opinion that a real man fixes all his own problems but I say hey the mechanic has to eat too. Can I fix it yes I can. Do I want to fix it when its -20 degrees no. 
Sean, 2011 Rpod RP-173,2009 Jeep Liberty Rocky Mountain Edition
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 5:55pm
+1
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Outbound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 3:22pm
Yes, you've got the overview pretty much correct.  Its fairly standard to receive a year's worth of roadside assistance when you purchase a new trailer.  Coach-Net is well known, reputable, reasonably well respected and extends throughout your North American travels (although Mexico is limited to $1000).

There's absolutely no funny-business going on.  You can feel comfortable to sign-up and receive a year's worth of roadside assistance with no further payment or commitment.  Just before your year is up, you'll receive a renewal reminder, which you can feel free to decline.  Plan prices and details are available on their website - they hide nothing.

Like every other roadside assistance company, they've got their own vehicles in busy areas and employ 3rd party contractors in more remote areas.  And, like every other roadside assistance company, they include some additional services which you can take advantage of as well.

Over the years, I've had CAA (Canadian Automobile Association), Good Sam and Coach Net.  They all offer the same essential service for your trailer, and all respond in a timely manner when you're stranded at the side of the road, but there are differences in the number of claims/amount of claim that you can make, how far and to which repair centres they'll tow your disabled vehicle/trailer to, additional/family vehicles that may be covered under the plan as well and in the extras (discounts, advice phone centres, etc).  Personally, I've stuck with CAA because I'm also covered with my motorcycle, I make better use of CAA/AAA discount travel (e.g. flights, rental cars), attraction tickets and group discounts (including insurance for the trailer).  But, really, if you decide to pay for a roadside service, you should look around first and see what best suits you.

-edit-

I'll add in my favourite roadside assistance story.  Its a simple story.  I didn't have an accident or an emergency.  Instead its a tale of happenstance and (perhaps) a little bit of stupidity on my part:

On a particularly rainy weekend, I was camping at a favourite campground in a site that sloped away from the road.  As I was backing in, the wet grass fairy quickly turned to slick mud and it wasn't long before I discovered that I'd managed to get the trailer stuck.  I rocked the vehicle+trailer back and forth, tried a few different angles and just made things worse.  I got out and took a look around; the mud was only about ankle deep.  I sighed and thought, "alright, I'll cut down some branches and put them under the vehicle's tires for traction."  But I knew it was just going to turn into a muddy mess before it got better.  As I was walking back to the trailer to grab a hatchet, I thought to myself, "wait a minute: I pay for someone else to deal with these problems."  So, I called roadside, they showed up 20 minutes later and they winched my r-pod out to the road.  Quick, easy and painless - and I didn't end up covered in mud.  I got a new site and enjoyed the weekend.

And that's why I like having roadside assistance.  Over the years, I've changed-out flat tires at the side of the road, I've used a coathanger to open the car door when I've locked my keys inside, I've walked 5 km up the road to buy a gas can (and gas) at a station and then walked back to fill my empty tank, I've asked a friendly passerby for a boost for my dead battery, I've pushed cars out of ditches when I've slid off an icy road, I've fixed electrical problems at the roadside, I've jury-rigged motorcycle clutches when the cable broke and banged-out bent sprockets with large rocks so that we could ride back to civilization.  And, if I have to, I'll do it all again.  But, sometimes, its nice just to call someone to come out and do it for you while you sit back and enjoy a cup of coffee.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 12:51pm
May be a nice "life-line" to have if you need help...probably not so much if you are the kind of person that prefers to be prepared and take control. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
IL-Podders View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 9:52am
We purchased our 2015 179 last month. Yesterday I received an "invitation" to join Coach-Net. Their letter states that FR has included this service w/ my purchase. I went to their website and see that this is a roadside assistance service. I did not create an account because I am skeptical of things that are "free" or too good to be true. My guess is that the first year of basic membership is free but once you are hooked you will continue w/ the membership.
Anyone have experience w/ this company? What has been your experience?
Thanks
Marv-N-Kathy
2015 179 RPod
2016 Chevy Tahoe
 Post Reply Post Reply