R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSatellite TV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Satellite TV
    Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 6:14pm
My experience has always been like Podster's.  We already have a large cell data plan since I work at home several days a week (no other good option where we live), and always use that at campgrounds unless there is no cell service.  Doesn't matter if it is a KOA or a private campground, their wifi always seems to be overloaded.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 8:26am
We have been in campgrounds with great wifi, in fact last spring my gaming clan had a HUGE round of battles for world supremecy, right at the time we were gone for Tink's Spring Fling. I played 3 hours of World of Tanks, running Teamspeak also, from the pod 4 nights in a row. We also streamed from Amazon prime to her iPad, no issues. As far as playing from a device, Amazon allows you to DL shows and movies to a device for later playback, no ripping etc needed. Do it all the time.
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 10:06pm
Huge? You'll rip through about a gig of 4G LTE in exchange for 1 hour of video. Ha Ha, don't forget to turn it off when the show is over! Confused  To date, I have not stayed in a campground with WIFI service capable of streaming anything. Some campgrounds throttle it and the ones that don't create a pile up that doesn't leave enough meat on the bone to do anything but watch the hour glass roll and roll (one access point). The medium of choice for unlimited HDTV entertainment for campers is still the DVD. Some folks have digitized video and then recast it via a steaming device, but I wouldn't recommend it. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
fleurdenola View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2015 at 7:48pm
Have you tried the chromecast? I have one (got it as a conference gift) but don't have much use for it at home. It could be perfect in the 179 I'm likely purchasing. I have a huge data plan on my phone, but am wondering about streaming via campground wifi. Is that too much wishful thinking?
2P$InAPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 10:02pm

We usually camp in the Northeast region and almost always have cellular signal. After confirming the TV in the 179 has an HDMI port.. I know what I want to do now... and it is called "Chromecast" I can connect my cell phone with the TV using hotspot and cast Internet content (including Netflix, CBS app, etc.) onto the TV. The device cost about $35 and no subscription. Just make sure you have a generous data plan so won't end up paying some crazy fee if gone over.  I will give this a try and see what happen. Thanks everyone.

David

David and Kris
2015 RPod 179
2002 Honda Odyssey LX
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 10:06pm
Since Furpod found the Dish info, I decided to find the one for Directv.  Here you go:

furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 3:00pm
As I understand it, both Dish and Direct have an RV package, but also, as I understand it, you have to be a home customer also..

Dish RV Page..
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 2:58pm
Last I heard Directv still had the RV package.  You may need to call to get info on it.
clenaghen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2015 at 12:18pm
I was just starting to look into this myself. At one point I thought that DirecTV had a special RV package that you could use as needed. I tried searching just this last weekend but DirecTV redirects you to one of their resellers that sells the satellite hardware, package, etc. I couldnt find any pricing on this so no idea if they have a low-cost package or not. I dont have a satellite subscription for either DirecTV or Dish right now, so I dont want to have to pay for a full-blown monthly subscription just for camping.

Out west here we camp in areas where you cant even get a cell signal, so streaming Netflix via cell is even out of the question.
2P$InAPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 10:08pm
We are newbees and truly enjoying our 179, we camp mostly in the northeast region. Currently, I am researching on satellite TV and need some advises. We are looking for something basic and economical... both equipment and subscription, but reliable and easy setup.. Dish network or DirecTV? Is there security issue with a portable dish? Thanks in advance.
David
David and Kris
2015 RPod 179
2002 Honda Odyssey LX
 Post Reply Post Reply