R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDampRid for condensation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bovine0001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: DampRid for condensation
    Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by podderfj

Better yet, go to any store that supplies pool supplies and buy a 50# bag for about $20 and refill your bucket when it gets saturated.  I got by bag at Ace Hardware.  Lots cheaper than buying the individual packs of Damp Dri.  

nice
2014 Rpod 178
Mods in Order:
1: Added USB charging port
2: Added Spigot at Fresh Water to make easy empty
3: Solar Panel
4: Cut dinette bench panel to improve access underneath
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 12:48pm
Better yet, go to any store that supplies pool supplies and buy a 50# bag for about $20 and refill your bucket when it gets saturated.  I got by bag at Ace Hardware.  Lots cheaper than buying the individual packs of Damp Dri.  
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 10:12am
I just found this other form of calcium chloride:

4 pound bucket of DampRid is 2.38/lb and this is .60/lb.  I think it should work, on the cheap.  
2014 Rpod 178
Mods in Order:
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 12:24pm
The one we are is Damp Rid High Capacity Moisture Absorber. It looks like a bucket with a handle. It lasts a long time. I usually keep it in either the sink or the bathroom so that in case it should happen to leak, the spill will be contained. One review on Amazon detailed how two of them, both of them in automobiles, split, ruining the seats. I would not put it on a car seat or anything else that would not be able to contain a spill, even before I read this.

The good thing about the Damp-Rid product is that it has a cover to keep it from spilling if overturned, which has happened. It has an indicator which will show when it needs to be replaced also. A home-brew version would lack these two features.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 9:37am
Originally posted by podderfj

Anybody out there ever tried the product DampRid for condensation problems.  It is actually Calcium Carbonate in a sealed pouch that comes with a plastic coat hanger attached to it for hanging up.  As it absorbs moisture, it collects in plastic bag beneath the container of calcium carbonate.  You can tell when the calcium carbonate is about used up as you can see through the package.  We use it in our closets at home and I use it in my gun cabinets.  Works great in these applications.  Just wondered if any podders out there have used it.  Also, smells good and keeps closets and gun safe smelling good.  Comments please.

Actually, it's Calcium Chloride, not carbonate.  Here is the MSDS: http://damprid.barradmin.com/uploads/general/DR_Moisture_Absorber_SDS-FG01K.pdf

I may try some of this to see if it cheaper.
2014 Rpod 178
Mods in Order:
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 1:35pm
Just don't expect it to collect the moisture from sleeping in there overnight - that is 1/3 of a liter of water per person, per night. You need to crack a window and the vent for that.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
ToolmanJohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 7:57am
 Yes, I use the tub version, it lasts through the Winter here in Connecticut. I also refill when the Pod is not being used. Especially in the Summer when it's humid, it collects quite a bit of water. I dump out the water every month.
2017 ATC 7X20 Custom Toy Hauler
2013 R-Pod 177 (SOLD)
2013 VW Touareg TDI
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 6:45am
Yes, many of us do. You can get the big tub in the Walmart RV section for about $9. 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
podderfj View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 10:47pm
Anybody out there ever tried the product DampRid for condensation problems.  It is actually Calcium Carbonate in a sealed pouch that comes with a plastic coat hanger attached to it for hanging up.  As it absorbs moisture, it collects in plastic bag beneath the container of calcium carbonate.  You can tell when the calcium carbonate is about used up as you can see through the package.  We use it in our closets at home and I use it in my gun cabinets.  Works great in these applications.  Just wondered if any podders out there have used it.  Also, smells good and keeps closets and gun safe smelling good.  Comments please.
 Post Reply Post Reply