R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShort term storage prep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short term storage prep
    Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 7:50pm
Next time you get to the fridge, look at the latch on the wall.  It slides forward which will keep the fridge open while in storage.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
barfsurfer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 5:15pm
Thanks for the advice everyone - very helpful! I guess I just got hung up on thinking the fresh water lines would get mildew or otherwise funky if left full. Looks like that's not an issue so thanks again.

I did leave the fridge propped open, and after talking to a neighbor I did pour 2 gallons of weak bleach solution into the gray water tank via kitchen sink drain. His experience is that the gray tank gets pretty funky over time so just thinking that a little sanitizer in there should help with that. Good point in the corrosion - I'll make sure the solution is pretty weak going forward.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 8:12pm
No worries about the water in the lines (other than potentially freezing).  Sitting cool and in the dark that water won't do anything for a long time.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
JohnBG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 1:11pm
Short-term storage (with no winterization) for me in Florida:

- Disconnect the battery (remove it if you store somewhere remote, mine is stored in my fenced-in yard at home)
- Shut off propane tank (if I used for refrigerator - on short trips I use battery power)
- Prop open refrigerator door and make sure all food residue is cleaned up
- Take all foodstuffs out of the pod to avoid bugs/rodents.
- Some folks like to put wheel covers on the tires, I don't have any other than the spare.
- Make sure the "shoilet" is clean and dry so no mildew occurs.

I've never drained the fresh water tank or water lines, not sure why you need to do that.  I like to keep a few gallons in the fresh tank just in case I need to use the bathroom or wash hands when traveling.

I dump the gray/black tanks when leaving the campground, but I put a few gallons of water in the black tank and drop a deodorizer/enzyme pack down the commode.  I don't want any residue in the black tank drying up and clogging the drain pipe.

Since my pod is stored in my back yard, every two weeks or so, I'll open the windows and let the pod air out so it doesn't get musty.
2010 R-Pod RP-171
2010 Honda Ridgeline TV
Podster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 11:01am
Hello and congratulations on your new 182g. 

Many of us install a battery cutoff switch of some sort so we don't have to remove the battery during short term storage. I installed an 6g Andersen power plug for this purpose. 

I like to make sure my POD vents while sitting, so I will crack the kitchen window and Fantastic Fan cover ever slow slightly to allow for some air flow. 

Make sure you prop your fridge freezer and fridge door open so it doesn't mildew. 

As far as the water lines...I would not store with chlorine because it is corrosive and can do damage if left to stew. After short term storage we basically just flush the lines really good at the camp site. I do from time to time sanitize the system if it sits longer than I am comfortable with and we always use a filter. That said, we drink and cook with bottled water. We use the POD water system for showers and washing hands and dishes. 

Good luck, have fun! 
Cliff & Raelynn
Ranger 4.0/178
(1/2 ton 5,800lb tow capacity)
barfsurfer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 10:44pm
Newbie question!  Just got a 2016 182g last week and had our first overnight.  It was great, we are hooked!  Unfortunately, our next trip will not be for a few weeks.  What should I do to get the pod ready for 3-4 weeks of sitting in a storage lot?  Couldn't find any results on this topic via search, everything is about long term winterizing which is way beyond what I need.  I should mention I live in Southern Cal so freezing temps are not an issue.  Here's what I did so far:
  • Drain Gray water, leave valve open overnight.
  • Black water tank is empty and has never been used
  • Open fresh low point drain lines and leave open overnight
  • Blow compressed air into low pressure fresh water inlet
  • Open all faucets
  • Remove battery, shut off propane
Should I refill fresh water tank? Add bleach?  Seems like leaving wet lines will lead to mildew or funk in the fresh water system.  What else am I missing?  Any advice most appreciated!  

Thanks,
Jay

Post Reply Post Reply