R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAwning options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Countrygent View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Awning options
    Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 9:17pm
I had a vintage canvas striped awning in green and cream made which came with the smaller welt for my 2012 177 that has the larger rail.  

Tried the slit tubing fix, it was either not done right by me or just not workable, it would jam going into the rail or trying to get it out, or the welt would come free on any sagging of the awning, you are on a stepladder and it is unwieldy, not practical for me.

I then tried small sections of slit tubing over the welt, popped on as I fed it in, not great result, the awning would come loose in stronger breezes.  Last year I just gave up and used a cheap little lounge chair umbrella for shade and put the awning fix on my "think about it" list.

I have heard of people using pliers to squeeze the channel, but I am hesitant, so I'm going to use some 5/8 rigid piping in small sections with loops of paracord that I'll run through small holes drilled behind the bead into the flat of the welt.  In other words give up on trying to hold the small welt in the channel and use tie points to sliding anchors in the channel.

Essentially the make your own awning grommet attachment idea (several small tube attachments for paracord loops to run in the rail) modified for my awning.  There will be a small gap, although as I will run the paracord loops from the underside of the awning welt, it might pull the welt pretty tight to the top of the rail.  Originally I was looking for aluminum tubing but the stiff plastic Ptex style is sold at the hardware store for all of about $2 for 4 feet and will be much easier to cut and no sanding or jagged metal edges.
Geoff & Tricia & Phoebe the Retriever
2012 177 HRE
Toyota Tacoma 6cyl
Little Bigpod
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 11:03am
A short cassette awning has been added by a couple owners, with mixed results. Best bet would be to start a new thread with that question in the topic, so those owners might see it.. 
GlibGuy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:01am
I have a 2015 178.  Does anyone know if it would be possible to attach a retractable awning above the door?   I'm specfically referring to the amount of space (there isn't much and the door swing couldn't be inhibited) and whether the structural integreity of the Pod would hold it?

I realize it would be limited in width but it would certainly be more convenient to just reach up and roll it out!
MICK
eiluJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 3:33pm
Thanks!
Capt Kidd View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 3:18pm
I don't know what size welt it is but Marti measured mine and made it accordingly. I know it is the bigger welt.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but from what all I hear from others who have awnings from her it will be fine.

I had some other stuff from her years ago and was very pleased with her work.

She did tell me to get the poles from Austin Kayak and I did.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by eiluJ

I would be interested to find out what other Podders have done as far as awning options. I have a 179 and about 8' of level distance on the channel before the ends curve. I have contacted a woman that makes vintage awnings and these look pretty sweet with the exception of the vinyl welt that slides through the channel is 5/16 and my opening is 3/8" . Somewhere I read that you could use aquarium tubing, slit it, and put it over the 5/16 welt, but, gee, I would really not want to have to modify a new custom made awning :-). Does anyone have advice? I called a local fella and 5/16 is the only ones he's seen. I look to my fellow Podders for a solution!!!!
Julie

A 5/16 welt would be the right size for a 3/8 rail ( 6/16ths ). The welt cannot be the same size as the rail, or it wouldn't slide in and out. It just needs to be large enough to not pull out of the front of the rail.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by David and Danette

If they make a small retractable 8 foot awning I wonder if it would be possible to attach it to the side of a 179 r-pod. Our Vibe has a 10 foot retractable awning and both the r-pods and Vibes are built very similar. 

Someone here posted instructions for modifying a retractable awning so it could be mounted on a pod.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
eiluJ View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 1:11pm
Yes, it is Marti and I have a 2016 179!! What size vinyl welt do you have?
Capt Kidd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 11:34am
Not knowing who the woman is that you are referring too all I can say is that I had my awning (for a 2016 R179) made by Marti's Awnings in Chico, CA. Very good quality and cost.
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 11:11am
   If they make a small retractable 8 foot awning I wonder if it would be possible to attach it to the side of a 179 r-pod. Our Vibe has a 10 foot retractable awning and both the r-pods and Vibes are built very similar. 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>